Taking pictures of nature

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by develop, Apr 12, 2018.

1. develop

develop TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am a beginner photographer and I am planning to go to the forest to take pictures, so how can I take beautiful pictures of nature. And what do I need to keep in mind when shooting outdoors? May those who experience can give me the note?

Thank you!

2. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What lens will you be using for this.?

3. OldManJim

OldManJim No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, "nature" covers a lot of things. Since you're just starting out, I'd suggest you begin with flowers. Try some artificial flowers inside your house where these is no wind. Practice with exposure (aperture, shutter speed, & ISO) & lighting until you get pleasing results with the camera system you have. Then look at some images from accomplished photographers and compare yours to theirs. Odds are, they will be better. Start learning how changes in your technique can improve your images and move you closer to what you want.

This is NOT a quick process and requires patience, learning, and experimentation. After all, if it was easy, I could do it! Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oldmanjim just about sums it up..................Good luck...................:)

5. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Unfortunately, you will not get the same "feel" in any photograph as you do in person. People try wide angle shots, but they are just not the same. Personally, I recommend that you simply use whatever you have at the moment, and don't try to capture the full experience. Enjoy the experience, and photograph whatever looks interesting.

Outdoor photography will fool you into thinking that the sunlight is adequate for photography, but in my experience the light should be augmented/modified for better photographs.

6. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Being keenly aware of the light direction and quality is a key to consistently making pleasing photographs.
    Second most important is composition. Composition guidelines have been developed over some 200 years and it pays dividends if a photographer is aware of those guidelines.
    A third aspect is knowing the technical limitations of the photography gear you are using.

As Designer & espresso2x allude to the fact whatever ambient light is available outdoors often doesn't have the direction and quality that allow making pleasing photographs. That also goes to a technical limitation of all digital cameras - dynamic range.
    In such case the photographer has to add light to a scene, or may need to mount the camera in some way so it can't move during an exposure.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  7. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1. Look at pictures you like, and think about WHY you like them.
      • The pictures can be from books, the internet, museums, paintings, etc. etc.
    2. Take notes, so that you can try to duplicate them or at least get the flavor of them.
    3. Then get out there and SHOOT.
    4. Review what you shoot and think why some shots worked and other shots did not work, and take notes.
    5. Repeat steps 3 and 4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dennybeall

dennybeall No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    "Taking pictures of nature"
    That's a challenging endeavor. Two things that are important in addition to being a good photographer are Research and Patience.

9. shane.haumpton

shane.haumpton TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have the time and knack for more adventure and breathtaking photos, maybe you should watch this tutorial. Not for beginners though but with enough patience, you will make your own masterpiece. I'm kinda hooked to this myself.

10. webestang64

webestang64 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Look for classes on nature photography in your area or maybe a photo club. At our photo store we have many types of classes including nature photography. And go to your local library and look up photos books on nature photography.