Taking pictures of those subjects who don't want their pictures taken

Shooting in the 'street' or any public area requires a huge number of decisions, not all of which are about the technical or esthetic requirements of the shot.
More than in most any other niche, it requires the photographer to think about the ethics of the proposed shot.
Over a long-ish period I have refined my own attitudes about what I will and won't shoot and I started this thread because I was interested in how people make those decisions.
And that's why I continued asking questions, in response to what I saw as un-thoughtful answers.

In addition to learning that most people, who actually do take pictures of people seem to have rather ambiguous lines they might cross to take a picture.

And the very fact of the existence of the thread seemed to bother people.
I contribute here and should have the right to start a thread on an appropriate topic.
I don't insult people (with one specific exception.)
I give money,
I critique other images posted for comment, and spend time to illustrate what I mean (as opposed to merely saying pictures are just 'snapshots.)
I actually work at photography and post my own images for comment myself, being willing to take criticism.
That last is something that many people don't do.

And that's why I continued asking questions, in response to what I saw as un-thoughtful answers.

And here we have it...

Your original question was basically, "Should you take a picture of someone who doesn't want their picture taken for various reasons including religion?" And the answers were a chorus of "respect their wishes" and "it depends on the situation but respect their wishes." Then you asked the same questions but worded differently and the responses were about the same.

I don't think this is the deep, thought-provoking topic you thought it was. It seems obvious to me that if your photography is upsetting someone or causing a scene, you should stop and re-evaluate your practices. If that's not thoughtful enough, I don't know what to tell you.

I see no evidence of people being bothered by the existence of this thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Clearly, perhaps not to you, I was trying to find out how people would respond in different situations.

Why does it bother you enough to write a post to put me 'in my place'.

I would suggest that, if you are annoyed or bothered by what I post, you block me and that will relieve all the tension.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back