taking the next step: purchasing a DSLR... decisions, decisions..

Sony a350. I havn't seen the specs yet, but I'm sure it will be better than an older D80.

On dpreview.com, I was reading a review on the D80 when the commenter said that as a beginner, you are better starting out with a D40 with the kit lens, and using that saved money to buy a second lens, flash, etc. rather than buying the D80.

Out of curiosity I added the cost of the D40 + kit lens, 8g SDHC, and a Nikon 55-200mm VR lens = $642. This is VERY reasonable.

I also like the Sony A350, but it has a price tag of a D80. And how I see it, all the new innovative features (example: live view) will eventually be on the competitors camera.

I won't be purchasing a camera for a while as I want to see how the market will play out with the D60, D90, etc. coming out.

Sure man, you don't need a D80 or an a350 anyways, I guarantee that a D40 can take pictures of similar quality.

Ya, after stepping back and looking at the pricing, i said to myself " do i really need all of this right now?"

i would get a lower end first. like rebel xti/xsi. if you like that after a year or so, i'd then go on to these options. i've had my rebel xt for about 2 years now and i'm finally ready to move on. just an idea.

A lot of these new "features" like live view and flip screens are just gimmicks anyways. Real features are things like better auto white balance and WB fine tuning, better highlight handling, improved dynamic range, etc. Those don't make very good buzz words for marketers though.

Its has been a long flip-floppy road of decision and I have almost made my choice, but I still need your help deciding between these 4 cameras:

Nikon D40 or Sony A200 or Nikon D70 or Nikon D70s

these are great cameras, and have their pros and cons. Its too hard of a choice for me to make alone, so thats why I am asking you. Keep in mind lens and accessory selection.

Its has been a long flip-floppy road of decision and I have almost made my choice, but I still need your help deciding between these 4 cameras:

Nikon D40 or Sony A200 or Nikon D70 or Nikon D70s

these are great cameras, and have their pros and cons. Its too hard of a choice for me to make alone, so thats why I am asking you. Keep in mind lens and accessory selection.

Don't worry about the A300, A350, or A700. Your best bet for the money would be the A200 because of the lenses. A350 and th A300 are the same, only the A350 will have so much more noise than the A300 because they use the same sensor. More megapixels (on the same sensor) = More noise. (I was taught that).

Sure live view and swivel LCD are cool but those are just extras adding more failure points. If your were to drop it with your LCD out, imagine what would happen. Live-view is a battery sapper. The A700 is very expensive but it's a good camera. If you're on a budget, go with the A200. If you have all the money in the world at your hands, go with the A700.

(The A200 at Ritz with a lens is $599.99)

Most reactions

Back