taking the next step: purchasing a DSLR... decisions, decisions..

ir0n_ma1den

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everybody,

Well since I am new here, I'll tell a little bit about my photography experience. I am currently enrolled in a photography course through my school where we strictly do black and white, developing our own film and printing in a dark room. I have been using a Minolta Maxxum 7000i with a Sigma 28-70mm and a Sigma 70-210mm for the past year with some decent results. I really like photography and will definetly be taking the next level photo course. The thing is that the next level course is a DSLR course.

My digital camera experience is with a Sony DSC-S500 and I will take my Minolta over the Sony any day.

So, I have been doing alot of research about DSLR's in general and have come up with a few cameras that will fit my wants and needs.

I want a camera that has a wide range of ISO, HDR capability, low noise, at least 10MP, and a built-in flash.

I have come up with a list of 3 camera's that fit my needs:
Canon EOS 40D
Nikon D80
Sony DSLR-A700 ( I am pretty sure that if I buy this camera I can use my existing lenses)
Here is a side-by-side comparison:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos40d%2Cnikon_d80%2Csony_dslra700&camuser=sony_dslra700&show=all

As for a price range, I am not really sure. At the lower-end is the Nikon D80 and the Canon EOS 40D.

I would also like to buy at least 2 lenses if the lenses I currently have do not fit the camera, so this sort of pushes the higher-priced cameras out of the window, but I am not sure yet.

thanks

EDIT: After thinking it over, I have decided that the Nikon D200 and the Olympus E-3 are too expensive, so I only have to decided between the remaining 3 models.

looks like you're in the market for a mid-grade camera. I noticed that you picked a Nikon D200. For a couple of hundred dollars more there is the D300 which won Camera of the Year award from Popular Photography. Maybe do a direct comparison between the D200 and the D300 and see for yourself if the differences are worth the extra cash.

I am currently an Olympus shooter and find the range of lenses pretty slim. Also, there doesn't seem to be very much talk in this forum about Olympus or Sony cameras.

Good luck in your search. I am personally going to be looking into Nikon for my next camera.

Looks like you've done quite a bit of research. I would also recommend going out and playing with each camera. There's alot to be said for hands on experience. You may be leaning twords one but once you play with the others you may quickly change your mind. Play with the menu options and all the buttons and nobs and you'll quickly see which one fits your needs.

After thinking it over, I have decided that the Nikon D200 and the Olympus E-3 are too expensive, so I only have to decided between the remaining 3 models.

Being a 40D owner, I'd suggest... the 40D. If that's what you can afford.

But I'd also suggest looking into a used 20D, and spend the extra money on glass.

Definitely the D80 ... and spend the difference between it and the 40D on lenses or a flash.

BTW, the Nikon price on the D80 is about to drop $100 before the end of February.

Well,

I've been looking around the internet for Nikon D80 packages and pricings.

One package particularly caught my eye: Nikon D80 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Lens and Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor Lens for $1520.

Is this a good package to start with in terms of the two lenses it comes with?

http://www.adorama.com/INKD80K2C.html?searchinfo=D80 kit&item_no=5

I'd go for that one instead. That gives you the 18-135 lens instead of the 18-55 along with the D80 and the 70-300 VR, all for the same price. You can still get a ton of great photos with the 18-55, but it needs to be stopped down for maximum sharpness, whereas the 18-135 is sharp wide-open, and gives you a lot more range.

Well,

I've been looking around the internet for Nikon D80 packages and pricings.

One package particularly caught my eye: Nikon D80 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Lens and Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor Lens for $1520.

Is this a good package to start with in terms of the two lenses it comes with?

Did you check some of the retailers on Ebay? I got a great package there. The only problem with them, as I see it at this time, is that when you call them to tell them how to pay for it all, they want to sell add ons and shipping insurance.

I was thinking about Ebay, but I don't know if my dad wants me dealing with high priced items on ebay, but I'll check it out.

I was thinking about Ebay, but I don't know if my dad wants me dealing with high priced items on ebay, but I'll check it out.

Well, I checked the reputation of the Ebay sellers until I found one that I felt was sufficiently reputable.

I didn't go with some web site since there is no guarantee that they will be any better than the Ebay seller and there is no reputation system for them.

A lot of people selling stuff on eBay aren't authorized Nikon dealers, and the Nikon warranty is only valid when things are bought through authorized resellers. Even if they claim to be Nikon authorized they might not be, so be careful.

As for online resellers, check here: http://www.resellerratings.com/

I found 1 really good deal from the ebay store, Digital Shopping Network: Nikon D80 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Lens and Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor Lens, lowepro backpack, 4gb memory, filters, wide angle mount, etc. for $1024.

But, when I went to resellerratings.com (thanks Mav) they had a lot of good, but some bad. I understand that I am basically paying for the camera, lenses, backpack, and memory, while everything else with it is cheap and basically a freebee (worthless).

Also, I noticed a jump in price when a lenses was labeled as having 'VR'. Is there a big difference in VR and non-VR, and is it worth the extra money?

The rip-off places will have so many bad ratings that it'll be obvious. Everybody knows about Adorama and B&H (both have links on these forums) and you won't get ripped off from them. In fact you support this site if you click on those links before buying there. I'd only get the 70-300 VR if you know for sure that you'll be doing a lot of telephoto shooting. Otherwise it's $400-500 that could be spent elsewhere, like on an SB-600 flash, or another type of lens. For a cheap telephoto zoom just to play with, there's the 55-200 VR and non-VR, both of which are very nice optically for half the price or less of the 70-300 VR.

Most reactions

Back