Taking the same scene with two different cameras

gmphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am trying to take the same scene with two different cameras to compare HDR from the cameras. I want the images from both cameras to look as closely aligned to each other as possible.

I was thinking I'd get a tripod with quick release, and the quick release plates on the two cameras would have anti-twist so the images would be closely aligned to each other. But I'm not sure if there'd be anything preventing the quick release adapter on the tripod from rotating or moving when I try to switch cameras.

Has anyone tried anything like this before? Is this method likely to allow me to switch cameras without moving the framing too much? Or do you have a better idea?

Many thanks!
Gabe

Quick release adapters are normally fixed, in the tripod head, so providing you align them correctly on the bottom of the camera you should be right.

That said if you're trying to get things pixel for pixel exact, then ... well good luck is all I can say, it certainly sounds like an almost impossible feat.

Being that they are two different cameras, unless they are the same make they will see things slightly differently anyways. I shoot Nikon and my dad shoots Canon. Both of us have a 70-200mm but the photos are always slightly different no matter what. Nothing overly noticable, but sensor position and the way the glass is made will make things a little different. Your idea of a tripod with quick release plates is the best.

Just to double check nothing moved, try finding something very specific and put it dead center of the frame. Turn your grid lines in the viewfinder on and then line that object up with both cameras dead center.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back