Talk to me about focus motors (please!)

mamaof4boys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello there! I'm totally new to this forum and to DSLR cameras in general, so I'm enjoying reading through your posts and learning.

I am ready to jump in and get an entry level DLSR camera. I'm currently debating between the Nikon 3300 and the Canon SL1. A friend of mine told me that long term, the Nikon is going to run me more money because the cost of the lenses is more. She said this is due to the focus motors being contained in the Nikon lenses rather than in the body of the 3300. When I stopped by my local camera shop this morning, the gentleman there said that neither the Nikon nor the Canon has the motor in the body of the camera, and that the lenses are going to be comparable for both cameras because both types require the lenses with the focus motors if I wish to use AF instead of manual.

Who is correct? Or do I just have no idea what I'm talking about? I left the camera shop feeling more confused than ever. Truly, I don't know how many lenses I will eventually need to purchase. I'm just a mom with boys aged 2, 2, 1, and one on the way. I don't know if my needs will be met with the kit lens, or how I might need to upgrade. I'm obviously an amateur who would like some good shots of her kids and maybe some nice vacation pics. We'll see where it develops from there.

Any thoughts? Recommendations? Thank you SO much for any guidance....

Most Nikon lenses now and all Canon lenses have the motors inbuilt. Older Nikon lenses were driven by a motor in the body. Entry level nikons like the 3300 do not have motors in them to drive older lenses.

I recommend the Nikon in this case for your shooting wants. You can get your required lenses for it with motor built in, it's unlikely you would want to use older lenses anyway.

Nikon and Canon have similar priced lenses at the various levels. I don't think any one system is more or less expensive

Oh and welcome to the forum

Most current day lenses have built in focus motors. The reason the nikon lenses without them are generally cheaper for a roughly equivalent lens is that they are older lenses and often being sold used.

Price wise you usually won't see much difference between similar lenses between nikon and canon.

Personally body wise if your shooting mostly pictures then the nikon is a much better value.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Thank you both so much! I have been leaning toward the Nikon, but then my friend's thoughts were swaying me a bit. She shoots on a Nikon but recommended that I might be more comfortable with the Canon because my point and shoot is a Canon (less of a learning curve?). If my expenses were going to skyrocket with one model or another, that might change my thinking. I don't have multiple thousands of dollars to invest in a hobby at this phase of my life. But pretty much all things equal, I would probably lean toward the 3300. Thanks again for your thoughts!!

The 3300 is a great camera.
Just ignore the in body focus motor at the stage you are.

If you get more and more in to it and get to some specialty (or older) lenses then it will make a difference.
Most of my lenses require an in-body focus motor but then that requires more money for the camera body.

All of Canon's lenses have had an AF motor in them since 1987 when Canon introduced their EOS lineup and EF mount (and later added (2003) EF-S mount).

With just a couple of exceptions, Nikon's older lenses that do not have an AF motor in them (AF) cost more than the equivalent consumer grade lenses of today that have an AF motor in them (AF-S). The older Nikon AF lenses are generally previous generation pro grade lenses.

The couple less expensive exceptions are Nikon's AF 50 mm F/1.8D and the AF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6G (not the newer AF-S 70 - 300 mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR)

Note that Canon EF and EF-S lenses also have the aperture motor in the lens, while all Nikon DSLR's have the aperture motor in the camera body.

All of Canon's lenses have had an AF motor in them since 1987 when Canon introduced their EOS lineup and EF mount (and later added (2003) EF-S mount).

With just a couple of exceptions, Nikon's older lenses that do not have an AF motor in them (AF) cost more than the equivalent consumer grade lenses of today that have an AF motor in them (AF-S). The older Nikon AF lenses are generally previous generation pro grade lenses.

The couple less expensive exceptions are Nikon's AF 50 mm F/1.8D and the AF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6G (not the newer AF-S 70 - 300 mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR)

Note that Canon EF and EF-S lenses also have the aperture motor in the lens, while all Nikon DSLR's have the aperture motor in the camera body.

Thank you so much!!

If money is really tight look into a refurbished D3200.. I saw one with a kit lens and a 90 day warranty from an authorized dealer for$320... Just a thought.. it would leave room for a flash and maybe another lens...

If you buy a Nikon body with a focus motor you get the best of both worlds. Compatibility with lenses dating back 40+ years as well as modern lenses with af motors built in.

Nikon d7100 and above have a focusing motor in the body. Anything below does not. All AF-S lenses have a focusing motor built into the lens and will work on any Nikon DSLR All AF lenses need a motor in the body to auto focus (they will manually focus just fine). If you buy a d3300 body you will need to make sure you buy AF-S lenses.

Nikon d7100 and above have a focusing motor in the body. Anything below does not. All AF-S lenses have a focusing motor built into the lens and will work on any Nikon DSLR All AF lenses need a motor in the body to auto focus (they will manually focus just fine). If you buy a d3300 body you will need to make sure you buy AF-S lenses.
Thank you, makes total sense!

3 of my 4 lenses are AF models. I love 'em. I wouldn't own a body without the AF motor. Saved me a ton of money.

Most reactions

Back