Tamron 150-600 G2

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wow, kudos to Tamron, the new updated lens looks very impressive. Some things I have noticed from the press release..
Updated optics with 3 LD elements
MFD is now closer to 7 feet for 1:3.9 Mag
Metal body
USB dock
3 VC modes with 4.5 stops claim
Better weather resistance
Flourine coating on front element
Faster AF
Better MTF at 600mm
"E" diaphragm for Nikon
$1399
They also introduced new TC 1.4 and 2x not sure why you would want to use them with this lens though..
TAMRON | SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2

This might be the new king of the xxx-xxx lenses. Can't wait to see some tests. I got some pretty amazing images with the first version and would love to compare IQ to the big primes..

Wow, get that new Tamron .. borrow mine .. compare them, then accidentally send me the newer version back. :)

Wow.. talk about perfect timing. I've got some money coming in that was somewhat unexpected, so I was looking at getting a 150-600mm. So it looks like I'll be picking up a new G2 as soon as they are in stock I guess.

Don't think I'll need the TC's though... lol.

crap i really need to dump my 150-600 before this comes out and kills the market on them even further.

Great news, that makes my choice easier when I invest at the start of next year.

cat hair is free.

Very interesting. Looks like I may have to add an upgrade to my lens wishlist if it holds out to be as sharp as it initially seems.

A very very smart move. If this lens beats out the Sigma Sport and Nikon 200-500 by obvious margins, then I guess we might see a second revision from both Sigma and Nikon as well.

Only going by their full size images which they provided at the bottom of their page, it seems like sharpness isn't hugely going up.

I'm betting with the new elements, redesign, and reduced CA's claimed, there'll be a very slight push in sharpness to edge out competition (pretty important), but I think the focus was to edge out the competition in every other category (price-performance, focus accuracy, focus speed, weight, additional useful features). I can only imagine that Tamron is rebranding a little bit, very similar to Sigma, and I bet they'll bring out a higher-tier 150-600 like Sigma has.

edit: Wide open performance at f6.3 at 600mm edging out f8 on the older stuff would be pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Wow, kudos to Tamron, the new updated lens looks very impressive. Some things I have noticed from the press release..
Updated optics with 3 LD elements
MFD is now closer to 7 feet for 1:3.9 Mag
Metal body
USB dock
3 VC modes with 4.5 stops claim
Better weather resistance
Flourine coating on front element
Faster AF
Better MTF at 600mm
"E" diaphragm for Nikon
$1399
They also introduced new TC 1.4 and 2x not sure why you would want to use them with this lens though..
TAMRON | SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2

This might be the new king of the xxx-xxx lenses. Can't wait to see some tests. I got some pretty amazing images with the first version and would love to compare IQ to the big primes..

Hmmm, maybe just the thing to get my juices flowing again. Shooting at F7.1 - F9 finally got old. Some dude on the East Coast kinda ruined it for me :aufsmaul:. For some reason, I felt I had learned and earned and suffered enough to get an F4 lens or better (skip earned).

I just Sold my Sigma 150-600mm C yesterday,next.

Most reactions

Back