Tamron 150-600

Ted Evans

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now I get a chance to see how good Tamron's customer service is. The AF on my two month old 150-600 stopped working today. It does not function on a D7100 or D200 which work fine with the Tamron 70-200 so I believe that eliminates any camera problem. I have exercised all of the switches on the lens but no help. the VC motor works but not a sound from AF. Manual focus works as it should so my guess is the motor or electrical.

Sorry to hear about that... I am pretty surprised, I have not seen a single report of the AF motor completely failing on the Tamron. I have found customer service to be very responsive.. I'm sure you double checked that you didn't accidently hit the AF switch on the lens?

Sorry to hear about that... I am pretty surprised, I have not seen a single report of the AF motor completely failing on the Tamron. I have found customer service to be very responsive.. I'm sure you double checked that you didn't accidently hit the AF switch on the lens?

I am just lucky Kris and yes, I exercised the AF switch a number of times. I can hear the VC motor when it is engaged but not a sound from the AF motor.

Power off the camera, remove the lens, wait 30 seconds then mount it back and turn everything on.

Try that.

Like Kris said I haven't heard much about complete failure. I know that people have had issues with both the Nikon and Canon models with the AF stops working but usually the quick fix is doing what Sparky suggested.

Power off the camera, remove the lens, wait 30 seconds then mount it back and turn everything on.

Try that.

Thanks for the suggestion....I did that....a number of times, I even mounted it on a D200, same thing. The Tamron 70-200 works fine on both cameras.

Update on my Tamron 150-600 and the failed AF issue. This is from Tamron.

Symptoms: NAF CHECK AUTO FOCUS FUNCTION

D DUST OR DEBRIS INSIDE LENS

Repairs: 001 IN YEAR ONE OF WA.RRANTY

NAF REPAIR AF MECHANIS~1.

D DISASSEMBLE AND CLEAN ENTIRE LENS.

I am curious how “dust or debris” got inside the lens in two months when the only place it was used was from my office window or from an enclosed hunting blind in my front yard with no more than 150 clicks. Hopefully, this will be the only issue as I really like the lens.

I am curious how “dust or debris” got inside the lens in two months when the only place it was used was from my office window or from an enclosed hunting blind in my front yard with no more than 150 clicks. Hopefully, this will be the only issue as I really like the lens.

Zooming this lens pushes a whole of of air around in the barrel. So it's bound to suck up any ambient dust that's floating by.

I doubt that's what caused the issue. More then likely, they're giving you a complimentary innards cleaning.

Zooming this lens pushes a whole of of air around in the barrel. So it's bound to suck up any ambient dust that's floating by.

I doubt that's what caused the issue. More then likely, they're giving you a complimentary innards cleaning.

I have heard of that issue but if this lens suffered from dust being sucked in, it will be worthless. We have not had enough dry weather here for so long all the dust has turned to mud. I actually figured their response was just a canned one that they issue. It appears to be very tight with no sloppiness that I can find which was better than I had expected. My thought is they just had a defective motor or perhaps a loose connection.

BTW, thanks for the video, I had not seen that before.

Wonderful....the Tamron arrived today and I am glad it had to go for a checkup. It is much quieter, faster and does not hunt like it did when I first got it. Not that it was terrible then, but it is much nicer now. Thanks to Tamron's repair and service department.

Wish me luck. I go to vegas tomorrow, maybe I'll get to order my 150-600 sooner than planned.

using tapatalk.

rofl.
:biglaugh:

I fly out in a few hours, maybe i should buy it now and save myself the heartache after a bad weekend.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back