tamron 24-70 2.8

billross77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm on my second copy of this lens. Does anyone else find the focus hit or miss?

You can check this review: Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Lens Review

He also indicates he experienced inconsistent focus accuracy issues.

Be careful when testing to make sure nothing else can influence focus accuracy (e.g. I prefer to use a good focus target (something with excellent detail and contrast... if not an actual focus target, a sheet of newsprint on a flat wall will usually provide good fine detail), control the AF point selection so it can't be blamed on the camera choosing an AF point other than the one located on your subject) and that the camera is on a stationary tripod so any shift in your body position after focus lock can't adversely impact the results.

I'm on my second copy of this lens. Does anyone else find the focus hit or miss?

Does your camera body have the ability to calibrate the lens? If so, have you done this?

I actually went to the National Camera Exchange in Minneapolis today, and the salesman was trying to tell me this lens out performs the Nikon 24-70 2.8. ?? Where would he come up with this opinion?

PropilotBW said:
I actually went to the National Camera Exchange in Minneapolis today, and the salesman was trying to tell me this lens out performs the Nikon 24-70 2.8. ?? Where would he come up with this opinion?

I actually tried a Tamron next to a Nikon 24-70 in the store and the Tamron was sharper. Perhaps I got a good one, but with that much of a price difference I bought the Tamron immediately.

PropilotBW said:

I actually tried a Tamron next to a Nikon 24-70 in the store and the Tamron was sharper. Perhaps I got a good one, but with that much of a price difference I bought the Tamron immediately.

There's no way this is true.

I took photos of a 5k today. 90% of the moving shots missed focus. I was on ai servo in my 7d. Still shots are better but still questionable as far as focus hit %. I'm sending it back. For $1300 I'll try something else.

What I seem to recall as being unique to the Tamron is that it has image stabilization (VC) and I don't know of any other 24-70 that offers that. I've never thought of image stabilization as a "need to have" feature in a 24-70.

I have had the older Tamron 17-50 and 28-75 f/2.8 non-VC for years and have never had any issues with either of them for still or moving objects.
i don't know much about "good" or "bad" copies of a lens, but I think people are sometimes too quick to cry "bad copy" when user error or unfavorable camera settings are more likely the culprit.

I have two camera bags full of lenses, a lot of them older AF nikkor primes and third party zooms and I have never run across a lens I would consider a "bad copy".
any time I have taken a bad picture, i can usually pin it down to something I did wrong.
VR is great and all, but I haven't felt the need to upgrade any of my lenses just to have it. I shoot my old nikkor AF 180mm f/2.8 handheld without any issues.
that being said, if I were buying a lens I and could afford the newer version with VR, I would probably get it.

Most reactions

Back