Tamron 24-70, or Tamron 15-30?

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are two very different lenses, with very different purposes. I want an UWA zoom, and I want a normal zoom. I have a 50mm 1.8, and I have an 85mm 1.8.

Here's my actual question though: I can't actually try the lenses out in person, and I know the Tamron 24-70 comes with a lot of copy variation. The 15-30 does not. CameraCanada has a sale right now, and the prices seem too good to be true. The Tamron 24-70 is $1140, and the 15-30 is $1240. Free s&h. No provincial taxes, so just 6 or 7% tax.

I'm thinking a 15-30 would round out my focal range needs. I know a 24-70 is what I want to have. Tough choice. Two very different lenses. (I decided after some digging that the Tokina 24-70 isn't worth the risk)

The 15-30mm is probably one of the only lenses I have never seen a bad review about. It must be great.

It is not exactly the answer you are looking for, but a question- do you feel you need f2.8 in the 24-70 range or is it more like "its the done thing". I ask that because when i had a 5d, I got it with a 24-105mm f4 lens, intending at some stage to get the 24-70 f2.8 type. I never felt I needed it, and that d750 has abilities with iso that far surpass the 5d?

In your shoes I might consider the tokina 16-28 f2.8 and either the 24-85mm f3.5/4.5 vr or the 24-120 f4

Cant speak for others, but the 15-30mm would be insanely much more useful to me than the 24-70mm:

- 28mm is my favorite "go to" focal length and both lenses have that
- 70mm is mighty short for real telephoto useage and not really that useful to me just yet
- 15mm on the other hand is uber useful, because thats deep into ultra wide angles

Also, the Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 VC is the current lead for wide zooms, even beating the mighty Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f2.8. The Nikkor keeps 14mm as lowest focal length, though, and in fact the Tamron 15-30mm is in truth more of a 16-30mm lens, so thats a significant difference.

While the Tamron 24-70mm is really just another 24-70mm. Clearly not the class leader. The main argument for it is - its cheap. Then again, I can get a Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 on the used market for about 900€ easy, so thats not really an issue either.

So yes. I wouldnt need to think a second about this. I would get the 15-30mm.

Thanks for the input.

I have decided to purchase the Tamron 15-30. I will be putting in my order tomorrow night (I'm gone this weekend & don't want a package to arrive unexpectedly early).

As much as I want a 24-70 f2.8 lens, I have a 50 and an 85. I'm missing the wide and ultra wide end.

I placed the order. $1304 after taxes (only 5% taxes, free s&h, and $2 for full insurance coverage on shipping). I 'technically' can afford it. Not really a responsible indulgence though. I'll have to Craigslist my SB-700 which I don't use at all, and cry a little about the remaining cost.

I felt like my D750 purchase from a year ago was going to waste without a wide angle lens.

Got the tracking number! Hope it takes 4 days to get here (for Monday), won't be around otherwise.

Excited.

My camera bag isn't big enough for the lens + camera. :icon_eek:

Most reactions

Back