tamron 300mm f2.8 or nikon 70-200 f2.8?

MitchStrp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is better to shoot baseball with? I have another body to put wider lenses on during games but would the 300 be sharper? This is the link of the lens, its local just haven't decided or if its even comparable.
Tamron 300mm f2.8 Nikon

What body do you have? The Tamron is a cult classic adaptal MF lens. The Nikon is a current AF lens.

I owned a Tamron 300 f/2.8 Adaptall-II back in the mid-1980's...payed $1,695 for it with the Adaptall-II mount and a matching 1.4x converter and a nifty carrying case and a wayyyy cool "palm rest" device that I wish to heck I had KEPT when I sold the lens! Mine was olive green, so it might have been the version made before this one. As I recall, it was a "good lens" when used plain, but when the 1.4x was added, it had a lot of color fringing on the outlines of subjects...it was NOT super-good at f/2.8, and had slight veiling glare wide-open, but one stop down it was better. In those days, I shot a lot of ASA 64 slide film. Basketball with the 300/2.8 is fine on FF for the far end of the court, but you have to use two cameras, and switch back and forth between the 300 for the far end of the court, and a shorter lenses camera for "your end"...I find that a major PITA...

I would honestly, rather have the Nikkor 70-200/2.8,and I think the 70-200 is the handier lens.

I have the d7000 body and yeah I think im going to stick with the nikon 70-200

Yep the 70-200 will also handle teleconverters well. And the zoom range advantage over fixed prime.
Means many more opportunities for closer shots sidelines. Indoor locker room,etc...
And a great all around general situations that have nothing to do with sports.

I had a pretty rugged copy for nikon and it was pretty soft at F2.8. I wouldn't get a 300mm f2.8 prime unless it was damn sharp at it's widest aperture. If a superfast telephoto prime isn't sharp wide open it's not worth the cash in my opinion.

But maybe I had an ultra ****ty copy.

I've got a 70-200mm and a TC-E 1.7 that I'm really happy with.

After shooting with that combo I stopped looking at anything longer.

Agree.. I don't know anything about the Tamron but once you have this combo above it is the end of looking unless your gonna go big time long.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back