Tamron 70-200/2.8 Di VC USD or Canon EF 70-200/4.0 L IS USM???

davidtse916

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm thinking of taking up wedding photography more seriously, so I have been reading and watching reviews on the two lens mentioned above. Price wise they're very similar, both offer weather sealing and IS. Currently budget is an issue or else I will consider the 70-200/2.8L LS USM version II instead.

For all the pros and seasoned wedding photographers out there, would you choose the Tamron (for F2.8 / better IS) or the Canon (better sealing / build / resell value)???
Current gear: Canon 6D (main), 70D (backup), Canon 24-70/2.8L IS USM II, Canon 40mm Pan cake (for light travel) & Canon 50/1.4.

Thank you for your time in advance

I wouldn't give up the extra stop for anything, especially if you need that background blur. That's why I'd rather have the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 than the Canon f/4.

EDIT: - Even though the Canon one is the f2.8, you'll get the gist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weddings venues often equal low light which benefits from faster lenses. Thats all

I've had the Tamron VC on my past Nikon bodies. I was completely happy with it. Now that I've switched to Canon, I had a 70-200 f4 for a week and returned it for a Sigma 70-200 f2.8. I only bought the Sigma because it was $300 less than the Tamron and offers 2 OS settings. I do a lot of panning at races and the 2nd OS setting is good for that. Re: the Tamron, focus speed and accuracy were good and IQ was excellent. I'd buy the Tamron over the Canon.

Since you're going to use this lens in a professional capacity I'd look at the Canon EF 70-200 f4L IS USM, on both the 6D and 70D. Both can handle low light situations by jacking up the ISO. But, I would look hard at the Tamron, and maybe rent one or both first. The Tamron will come with a 6 year warranty, and being used for weddings it may get beat around a bit. Canon gets high dollars for their white lenses, and come with a skimpy one year warranty. Customers do like to see those "white lenses".

So far comparing the canon to the Tamron f2.8 the Tamron wins out for weddings. The canon color fringe is out of control and weddings have allot of white on black contrast that the canon outlines everyone with purple fringe. The Tamron has virtually no fringing and is a grand cheaper. I sold my canon on eBay and now using Tamron full time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back