Tamron 70-200 f 2.8 Best for Portraits or Zoom/reach ? Zoom isn't working for me ;-(

I came back to this thread to see how you're doing. You know, I used to sell photo goods, years ago, but still.... What happened to you with the 70-200 is not all that uncommon. I think the real issue is you've got a modern HIGH-RESOLUTION, 24 megapixel dslr now...and when you open these high-rez images up, any and all camera-handling or focusing flaws really stand out. If the focus is mis-placed a bit, it shows up! If there's some shutter speed blur, it shows up! Small amounts of subject movement are sometimes not stopped perfectly, even at speeds like 1/400 second.

I think maybe with a telephoto lens, you might want to try using the AUTO ISO option, and setting the Highest ISO value to 1,600, and the minimum shutter speed to 1/160 second, or maybe even higher outdoors, like 1/320 second, and let the D7100 move the ISO up and down to keep the shutter speed at 1/320 second, so that the high-rez camera can do its work. I mention this because last summer I shot a bunch of frames with the 70-300 VR on 24MP, and was looking at some of them this week in fact, and I noticed that on "everyday" scenes, my people were often slightly blurred..not a "lot", but people in daily activities took about 1/320 to 1/400 to stop with 100% "frozen movement".

I mention this knowing that the 70-300VR lens is an f/4.5~5.6 lens, so the ISO should be set at 1,600 Maximum if the minimum shutter speed is 1/320. See--that is the weakness of an f/5.6 lens: unless the light is pretty BRIGHT, you can not get enough shutter speed at low ISO values...just can't...on a rainy or gloomy day, no way Jose.

Thank you so much ! I appreciate the time you took to write that advice. I will turn the auto iso back on in the settings,if it's not already on.

Most reactions

Back