Tamron 90mm weird ISO/display problem help please

Hmm, that's really freaking weird. I'd call Tamron and see if they've gotten any other users reporting the same problem.

Garbz, the aperture was consistent in all of the modes I tried it in..I'm just pretty sure is was damaged in not computing correctly in manual mode. It's also started making noises. And I started feeling a physical click when I put it in that mode.

I just thought I'd report back that I ordered the canon 100mm macro lens and it arrived today. I put it on and it worked perfectly out of the box. So whatever was going on with the Tamron, it wasn't a setting on the camera, but something with the lens itself.

I read tons of positive reviews on the tamron so I'm disappointed but I guess things just happen sometimes... it was most likely the rough handling of the packages.
When the canon arrived today, it was inside of a bigger box (a box within a box) and the outer box was so dented. It looked like something really heavy was sat on one corner, like it was dropped on another corner, like it was kicked on one end...thankfully they stuffed Styrofoam around this lens, the tamron had no additional protection other than the little pouch.

I did take a bunch of pictures of the box before I opended it, I was expecting the worse

Don't return it. I usually shoot manual, and the image in live view is often unusable, but that's because I'm usually shooting with the flash, and the ambient is very low. To help me focus, I switch to Av, at whatever f/stop I'm shooting in manual. The camera then adjusts it's shutter speed and simulates the resulting image on the LCD. I take care of the focus, then switch the exposure mode back to manual, and turn off live-view (since the flash does not fire in live-view). The resulting image is exposed the way I expect it to be exposed. The camera is, of course, on a solid tripod, and I usually have a remote shutter release also hooked up (shouldn't matter with flash, but I do sometimes have a mix of flash and ambient).

As for the lens itself, especially in macro mode, I only use it in manual. After all, if you are doing macro, you have a razor-thin DOF anyways, and the camera has no clue what you want to have in focus, so doing the focusing in manual is pretty much the only way I use that lens.

Garbz, the aperture was consistent in all of the modes I tried it in..

Consistent to what? Setting on the back of the camera or did you physically look down the front of the lens to check and makes sure you can't ever see an aperture blade in any mode?

alyphoto, it looks like you've already gotten to the bottom of all this. I have discovered the short answer is, the problem is with the lens. I just returned from a trip out of town, where I shot a lot of stills and video footage with my T2i using an old Nikon 50mm 1.4 lens with a cheap $14 lens adapter that I purchased from Amazon.com. Just as you described on your earlier posts, this problem between the lcd image vs. your actual still, only occurs in Manual Mode. All other modes, including video, what you see on the lcd is what you capture. I swapped out my Nikon lens and adapter with my kit lens and voila! Everything is fine in Manual Mode, using the lcd.

My problem now is still not quite definitive however. I am not absolutely sure if it's a problem with the Nikon lens itself, or if it's a problem with the cheap $14 Nikon to Canon body lens adapter (there are a couple of other glitches going on relating to this lens adapter). But the T2i itself, is fine. -smile- I just have to resort to looking through the viewfinder when shooting in Manual Mode.

alyphoto, it looks like you've already gotten to the bottom of all this. I have discovered the short answer is, the problem is with the lens. I just returned from a trip out of town, where I shot a lot of stills and video footage with my T2i using an old Nikon 50mm 1.4 lens with a cheap $14 lens adapter that I purchased from Amazon.com. Just as you described on your earlier posts, this problem between the lcd image vs. your actual still, only occurs in Manual Mode. All other modes, including video, what you see on the lcd is what you capture. I swapped out my Nikon lens and adapter with my kit lens and voila! Everything is fine in Manual Mode, using the lcd.

My problem now is still not quite definitive however. I am not absolutely sure if it's a problem with the Nikon lens itself, or if it's a problem with the cheap $14 Nikon to Canon body lens adapter (there are a couple of other glitches going on relating to this lens adapter). But the T2i itself, is fine. -smile- I just have to resort to looking through the viewfinder when shooting in Manual Mode.

Resort to using the viewfinder? :/ If you want to stare at an lcd for every photo you take, get a point and shoot.

Most reactions

Back