Tamron or Sigma 70-300 as macro lens?

Viper98

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm wanting to get in to macro photography but I don't want to spend much money on my first lens
Ideally I'd like to keep it under $400 CAD
Most prime macro lenses in this price range seem to be 1:2 but both the tamron and sigma also support macro at 1:2 as well and they are far cheaper($200-250)
are these lenses worth looking at for macro photography at all? If not does anyone have better suggestions?

Edit camera is a Canon XSi

Last edited:
I have the Sigma 80-200 f/2.8 II EX DG Macro HSM.
It is a telephoto zoom lens with magnification of 1:3.5
These are telephoto lenses with close up capabilities but they are not macro lenses. I wish they wouldn't use the word "macro" in the title because they are not macro lenses at all. If you buy one thinking that you can do true macro work with them, you will be disappointed. However, as long as you know that these are telephoto close up lenses, you won't be disappointed.
I have got some great close up pictures with mine, but again, not macro shots.

I'll throw my plug in for the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro. All of the shots in the links below I took with that lens.

Nathanael Siders Photography | Plants

Nathanael Siders Photography | Insects

And about 90% of the ones in this link
Nathanael Siders Photography | Animals

It's a great lens for Macro work and is awesome because it let's you keep a very, very healthy distance between you and the insects. Although, picking up a used Tamron 90mm f2.8 would be even better, but you lose all that great working distance.

Edit: For those who don't like to waste time with links....here's some of my fav's with the Sigma
p925716474-4.jpg

p556144615-4.jpg

p585135202-4.jpg

p1041769688-4.jpg

p679538026-4.jpg

This lens is an incredible bargain for $200. Even when I upgrade to a true macro, I'll probably hang onto this lens.

wow
thanks for the pics
I think I will get that lens now, for the price it seems great
should do me pretty well until I have money for the Sigma 180mm macro that I want to get down the road

just wondering are you using an adapter to get true 1:1 on the lens or are you just using it as is

I was actually looking into getting this lense as well. These are great picture / references for this lense in my decision.

wow
thanks for the pics
I think I will get that lens now, for the price it seems great
should do me pretty well until I have money for the Sigma 180mm macro that I want to get down the road

You won't be dissapointed. I bought this lens as an alternative to the Nikon 70-300VR without even planning to use it for Macro. The Macro is so great that 90% of my use with this lens is in that area instead of what I planned. I'm happy with this until I can get a Sigma 150mm and 1.4/1.7TC's.

just wondering are you using an adapter to get true 1:1 on the lens or are you just using it as is

This is just with the straight lens...no extension tubes or adapters.

I was actually looking into getting this lense as well. These are great picture / references for this lense in my decision.

Yeah, it's a real sleeper lens and great for the money.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back