Tamron or Sigma?

esXOmm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm just starting to get into photography and just got a new Nikon N80 Body, I was looking at buying either the Tamron or the Sigma two lense Zoom kit, what is recomended, is one company better than the other.

The Tamron is an Autofocus 28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 Aspherical and an Autofocus 75-300mm F/4-5.6 LD1:3:9 Macro

The Sigma is an Autofocus 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Macro (1:2) and an Autofocus 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Zoom Macro (1:2)

They are both roughly the same price.

Thanks for any suggestions, other brands would be welcome, just looking to start a small arsenal.

Thanks.

In all fairness, they are probably very very close in terms of quality. Personally though, I've had better experience with Sigma. That is purely a personal choice and I believe you'd be equally happy with either.

I own a Tamron and a Sigma and the Sigma I believe is a little sharper but no real complaints about either.
I do suggest you research the lens you're interested in and readuser comments before buying because some models from each manufacturerhave their individual idiosycrancies such as poor focussing, "zoomcreep" etc.
HTH.

I too own both Sigma and Tamron lenses. I haven't had any trouble with either of them. If I had to choose one, I would definitely choose my Sigma lens. The quality of the pictures it takes is just a tad superior to my Tamron lens. I think you'd be happy with either one though.

I personally prefer the Sigma.

i have an N/F80 all with Sigma lenses (mainly due to my budget) and i have no complaints. i have never used tamron lenses so i don't have an opinion on them. if you are not intending on buying many lenses then it may well worth be considering saving for a nikon lens.

the first lens i bought was a Sigma 28-200 which i still use to this day and have had no issues with it. i also managed to get a 28-300mm cheap brand new but the focusing is a lot slower and poor in low light. however, in daylight its great and for £99 (about $190) brand new i'm not complaining!

Most reactions

Back