Tamron SP 150-600mm .. anybody getting one?

Cool.. thanks.. Missed that thread.

Kind of excited to see how it handles daytime youth field sports.. Hope i don't have to pull a 'rockwell' and send it back due to poor AF performance :)

Ok I know state laws do vary but I'm pretty sure no matter what state your in if you are pulling your "rockwell" at a youth sporting event you'll most likely end up getting arrested. Just food for thought.. lol

I've heard a lot of names but never heard it called Rockwell lol…...

Huh.. Weird. I'm like, one state over.

Dude! I am like 9 states over, we are practically neighbors.

Dude! I'm just like...no, I don't know. WHERE is Iowa again? Is that even IN the US? Can't you see Russia from there, or something? :lmao:

(Sorry, sparky, couldn't resist! For the record, I do actually know that, if you do it just right, I'm only two states away, but it's a LONG two states, down through Missouri and then all the way across TN!)

Cool.. thanks.. Missed that thread.

Kind of excited to see how it handles daytime youth field sports.. Hope i don't have to pull a 'rockwell' and send it back due to poor AF performance :)

Ok I know state laws do vary but I'm pretty sure no matter what state your in if you are pulling your "rockwell" at a youth sporting event you'll most likely end up getting arrested. Just food for thought.. lol

I've heard a lot of names but never heard it called Rockwell lol…...

Oh come on.. you've never heard anyone say is that a Rockwell in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? Lol

Huh.. Weird. I'm like, one state over.

Dude! I am like 9 states over, we are practically neighbors.

Dude! I'm just like...no, I don't know. WHERE is Iowa again? Is that even IN the US? Can't you see Russia from there, or something? :lmao:

(Sorry, sparky, couldn't resist! For the record, I do actually know that, if you do it just right, I'm only two states away, but it's a LONG two states, down through Missouri and then all the way across TN!)

Lol.. well I'm a Nebraska boy myself, just thought it was weird that all this time I've been yanking Sparky's chain and I never knew he lived close enough that maybe I should be worried.. lol

If it were a fixed f4 I would be looking at it, but for the sports and wildlife in dark woods it's just not fast enough. Even if it were a fixed f5.6 I would at least have to give it a try and then see.

If it were a fixed f4 I would be looking at it, but for the sports and wildlife in dark woods it's just not fast enough. Even if it were a fixed f5.6 I would at least have to give it a try and then see.

So just 1/3 stop is too far over the edge?

Like I said, I would probably go for the f4, but would have to see some spectacular results from a fixed 5.6. Going to 6.3 is what loses it for me because with almost any camera you will lose auto focus once you plop a 1.4TC on there, so that 1/3 stop does make a difference, but that's just my feeling for how I would need to use it. Not saying it's a bad choice for someone else to use for what they do.

I pre-ordered mine on 12/23 the first day I could at Adorama. I started a group on flickr that has a ton of samples.. A select few have me thinking this lens will be quite incredible in the right hands :)

Welp.. not sure why i'm buying it then.. I have two left hands :(

Everybody who say's they are passing on this lens because 'its not f/4' or 'its not a fixed aperture' either:

1) Have more money then they know what to do with
2) Don't know what they are talking about

Show me a 600mm f/4 lens... and i'll show you the $10,000 price tag.

Even if it were a fixed f5.6 I would at least have to give it a try and then see.

So just 1/3 stop is too far over the edge?

in this day and age 1/3 stop of ISO pretty much makes or breaks a photo.

If it were a fixed f4 I would be looking at it, but for the sports and wildlife in dark woods it's just not fast enough.

I don't believe this lens was designed with indoor sports or dark woods in mind. Would you shoot in dark woods with your 70-300 VR? This lens is pretty much the same. A 70-300 will be at f/5 at ~150mm and hits f/5.6 at 300mm. The 150-600 is below f/5.6 at 300mm and hits it closer to 400mm.

Going to 6.3 is what loses it for me because with almost any camera you will lose auto focus once you plop a 1.4TC on there, so that 1/3 stop does make a difference.

Why would you put a 1.4TC on a 600mm lens? I'm sure autofocus would still work at 840mm f/8.

but that's just my feeling for how I would need to use it. Not saying it's a bad choice for someone else to use for what they do

ujellybro?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back