Tamron SP 150-600mm .. anybody getting one?

an $8500 price difference break me!

It's actually a little more than that! The nikon 600mm f4 here in Canada is $10500 and the Tamron is $1350!

Even if it were a fixed f5.6 I would at least have to give it a try and then see.

So just 1/3 stop is too far over the edge?

in this day and age 1/3 stop of ISO pretty much makes or breaks a photo.

I don't believe this lens was designed with indoor sports or dark woods in mind. Would you shoot in dark woods with your 70-300 VR? This lens is pretty much the same. A 70-300 will be at f/5 at ~150mm and hits f/5.6 at 300mm. The 150-600 is below f/5.6 at 300mm and hits it closer to 400mm.

Going to 6.3 is what loses it for me because with almost any camera you will lose auto focus once you plop a 1.4TC on there, so that 1/3 stop does make a difference.

Why would you put a 1.4TC on a 600mm lens? I'm sure autofocus would still work at 840mm f/8.

but that's just my feeling for how I would need to use it. Not saying it's a bad choice for someone else to use for what they do

ujellybro?

I put a 2X TC on my SigMonster to get up to 1600mm. Then I can get shots like these:

IMG_1131 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_1159 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and video like this:

1600mm red shouldered hawk eats live snake | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

With 3 pins taped in the doubler I can get autofocus via the view screen. That causes the EXIF info to read 800mm but it's actually 1600mm.

I have plenty of other examples in my Merritt Island and Dinner Island sets taken at the end of October and beginning of November 2013.

And to think Gav was on another TPF thread today telling us what crap the lens would be at more than 500mm in length... so undoubtedly thousands upon thousands of otherwise potential buyers will cancel their pre-orders an be content with old yellow Sigma 150-500's...

I love it when someone says something I am too hesitant to say. LMAO Perfect.

Even if it were a fixed f5.6 I would at least have to give it a try and then see.

So just 1/3 stop is too far over the edge?

in this day and age 1/3 stop of ISO pretty much makes or breaks a photo............

Maybe in a few circumstances, but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that you wouldn't be able to see the difference between, say, ISO 400 and 500 in many of the mid- to top-end cameras.

Maybe in a few circumstances, but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that you wouldn't be able to see the difference between, say, ISO 400 and 500 in many of the mid- to top-end cameras.

ISO 500? pffft.. I was messing around with my dog the other day and i didn't even notice my camera was set to ISO 2500 until long after...
kevin-3.jpg

I have to go WAY over ISO 500 before i even care :)

"oh no... 600mm and f/6.3... what ever will i do!!!"

you missed my sarcasm.

you missed my sarcasm.

Wait.. you? Were Sarcastic? Man. Ok, going to have to go back and hunt for that so we can mark it on the calendar. If only we had.. hmm, I dunno, a dog we could use to track that down with. Lol

you missed my sarcasm.

Oh, ho, ho, sarcasm ! Oh, no, no, we don't get that here. See, uh, people ski topless here while smoking dope, so sarcasm's not really a, a high priority. We haven't had any sarcasm here since about, uh, '83, when I was the only practitioner of it. And I stopped because I was tired of being stared at.

you missed my sarcasm.

Oh, ho, ho, sarcasm ! Oh, no, no, we don't get that here. See, uh, people ski topless here while smoking dope, so sarcasm's not really a, a high priority. We haven't had any sarcasm here since about, uh, '83, when I was the only practitioner of it. And I stopped because I was tired of being stared at.

From the movie Roxanne, with Steve Martin. A true classic.. lol.

I wish Sigma and Tamron made long lenses for micro four thirds. A lens like this would make my OMD the ultimate wildlife camera.

I wish Sigma and Tamron made long lenses for micro four thirds. A lens like this would make my OMD the ultimate wildlife camera.

I wonder how much of that is the idea that most people who buy something like a micro 4/3 do so for portability, so they figure a bigger heavier lens probably won't sell all that well for them?

I have pre-ordered one. I have been using he old 80-400mm and was toying with the idea of someday upgrading to the new. I can't pass this up...at less than half the cost and more reach...and thus far I have been seeing nothing but good... :)

I saw these pics on facebook and asked the guy what he shoots with. He stated D800, D700 and D7000.

https://www.facebook.com/khubbardph...95085812920/10151969469882921/?type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/khubbardph...95085812920/10151944272807921/?type=1&theater

I wonder how much of that is the idea that most people who buy something like a micro 4/3 do so for portability, so they figure a bigger heavier lens probably won't sell all that well for them?

True. But micro four thirds lenses in the same range would also be smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh boy. Adorama sent a tracking number. Now I get to freak out for the next few days. I will need to play video games to keep my mind off of the slower than molasses flowing uphill in the winter UPS truck!

Most reactions

Back