Tamron Zoom Super Wide Angle SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II

I was reading reviews of this one and one of the reviewers on Amazon said that apart from the difference in VC, the optics in the VC version are different as well. Can anyone confirm/deny that? Thanks!

I've heard that the VC is softer, but that's the tamron. I don't really know on the Sigma, I haven't looked closely at it.

I own the Sigma 8-16. It's addictively awesome, and you can't get wider with a quality lens.

I haven't figured out why people want OS/IS/VR under about 100mm. If you are shooting at 17mm your rule of thumb would be that you need to be above 1/50 hand held-normally it's equal to the focal length until you drop below 1/50 or 1/80 depending on the teacher. If you were taught to DOUBLE the focal length of the lens... it's still 1/50 or 1/80. If you are shooting at 50mm you would have to be at 1/50 or 1/80 depending on the teacher or all of 1/100.
I don't know about you, but there aren't many things you can shoot at a shutter speed that slow except still life anyway... OS/VR/IS doesn't stop movement from your subject, only camera vibration/shake.
So... will someone teach me why I need OS/IS/VR on a focal length under 100mm?
It helps when shooting handheld in low light conditions when your shutter speed really drops,when your shooting non moving subjects, may just at times get you by without your tripod

Awesome feedback guys. Thoughts on a fixed lens? Say getting 1 lens in the 10 to 20 range? Or is having the zoom better to cover the range in one lens?

Just curious.

Would this be a decent lens our should I just shell out the money for better glass. Keep in mind I won't be going to FF for a long time.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583991-REG

This is my scenario. I'm going to the coast in mid may. Looking to take some ocean horizon sun setting shots. However my budget will be around 500 to 600 right before then. So with that in mind any suggestions? Again you all have been great help thus far.

Awesome feedback guys. Thoughts on a fixed lens? Say getting 1 lens in the 10 to 20 range? Or is having the zoom better to cover the range in one lens?

Just curious.

Would this be a decent lens our should I just shell out the money for better glass. Keep in mind I won't be going to FF for a long time.

Tamron SP AF 10-24mm f / 3.5-4.5 DI II Zoom Lens B001C-700 B&H

This is my scenario. I'm going to the coast in mid may. Looking to take some ocean horizon sun setting shots. However my budget will be around 500 to 600 right before then. So with that in mind any suggestions? Again you all have been great help thus far.

That's a tough one. Each one has their benefits. What it really boils down to is the style of shooter. I like my zooms. Others would hate them... Sorry! It's not much help!

I have the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for Nikon and I very much like it. When I bought mine I decided to go with the older version without the VC as I felt I didn't need it and it was much less expensive. I bought it used from Amazon.

Jerry

you were dead on going with the older version, the VC model is not as SHARP as the older non VC, I also use the older version and I use the Tamron 28-75 also great lens

Most reactions

Back