Tamron Zoom Super Wide Angle SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II

c3po99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a T3i and looking to get a wide angle lens for some landscape/skylines of Dallas, TX. Read a few other posts pertaining to alot of different wide angles and the camera formats and such. By process of elimination i figured the T3i is a crop body and that the Tamron 17-50mm would be a good choice for me. I don't plan on going to a FF anytime soon so i'm looking for a good walk around lens that can get the "vastness" of a wide shot i'm looking for. Would this be the lens for me or am i barking up the wrong tree?

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Lens for Canon AF016C700 B&H

Its a great lens - That one you pointed to may even be better than the copy I have (cant remember the exact nomenclature) but it appears to be it. I am not at home to look at it, but the version I have is fantastic. It's no Canon "L" in build quality, but it does prodive excellent sharpness. Similar to the 17-40 for my intended uses

I have the Tamron and I really do love it. I wish I could use it on my full frame cameras, but that's another story. If you ever intend to upgrade-just remember it won't work.
It's soft wide open, but stopped down just a 1/3 stop makes a HUGE difference. (No lens is at it's best wide open)
f/2.8 @50mm
6703244413_7dff778626.jpg

f/4 @50mm
6703245131_0677c708b4.jpg

I used the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 on my crop cameras. It was great, especially for the price.

I have a T3i and looking to get a wide angle lens for some landscape/skylines of Dallas, TX.
Keep in mind that 17mm is that wide on your camera. If you want those really wide landscape shots that you see everywhere, you will need something like 10-12mm, on your camera.

I have this lens...I would not consider it a super wide. Not on the crop body. Need to get the Tokina 11-16 if you want super wide.

I bit the bullet and got the Canon 10-22mm and couldn't be happier. If you don't plan on moving to a full frame body your lens investment is a lifetime investment. Being able to go up to 50mm would have been nice though.

Im also torn on this one but leaning heavily twords the Sigma 17-50.....it has great reviews and OS to boot

I haven't figured out why people want OS/IS/VR under about 100mm. If you are shooting at 17mm your rule of thumb would be that you need to be above 1/50 hand held-normally it's equal to the focal length until you drop below 1/50 or 1/80 depending on the teacher. If you were taught to DOUBLE the focal length of the lens... it's still 1/50 or 1/80. If you are shooting at 50mm you would have to be at 1/50 or 1/80 depending on the teacher or all of 1/100.
I don't know about you, but there aren't many things you can shoot at a shutter speed that slow except still life anyway... OS/VR/IS doesn't stop movement from your subject, only camera vibration/shake.
So... will someone teach me why I need OS/IS/VR on a focal length under 100mm?

I wouldn't call 17mm ultra wide on a crop sensor. Like someone else noted get one of the 10-20mm range lenses. Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina all make one.

I have the Tamron 17-50 and yes it is a great lens but super wide no, I use the Tokina 11-16 2.8 for super wide

The Tamron 17-50 you don't need OS and the OS model is not as sharp as the non OS, read the reviews

Maybe the shooter has Parkinsons, PTSD, Weak shaky arms, lives in a very cold enviornment and shivers alot......etc.

Maybe the shooter has Parkinsons, PTSD, Weak shaky arms, lives in a very cold enviornment and shivers alot......etc.
I don't think VR/IS/OS/VC is going to compensate for those things anyway!

I have the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for Nikon and I very much like it. When I bought mine I decided to go with the older version without the VC as I felt I didn't need it and it was much less expensive. I bought it used from Amazon.

Jerry

Most reactions

New Topics

Back