Tax question.

EvansMomma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lifeinfocus-photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am an on-location photographer, so I don't have a studio or office location. I am looking to start selling prints, instead of including the digital images in the session fee. I applied for my Tax-ID but haven't got it yet. I need to know a few things about taxes, any answers would be appreciated!!

Which tax rate do I charge? My city tax rate, or my clients'? Or do I just charge state tax?

Can I legally even charge tax if I don't have my tax-ID yet?

I had more questions, but now I can't think of them...I'll ask more later.

Thanks!
Sondra

Wow, no idea. Maybe someone else will chime in. Good luck either way!

Ok, your Tax ID is from the federal government and takes less than 5 minutes to get over the web or you can use your social security number depending on the sole proprietor rules in your state. Your RESALE certificate for sales tax comes from the state you live in. As to what rate you charge and when is something you will have to talk to your accountant about or contact the local SBA.
Here is a link that might help: Department of Revenue - Taxation:Sales Tax

You also need to file estimated taxes quarterly. Not filing (even if you didn't do any business) can result in fines and/or the dreaded AUDIT.

The above comments are regarding income taxes, and right on the money. Your question is about slales taxes.
State and city sales tax laws vary by state and city.

Most reactions

Back