Teach You 15 Tips, Let Christmas Photography More Easier!

Link Delight Online Shop

Official Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Several days were the Christmas day, so I want to give a “Christmas photography" as the theme to write one shooting guide was quite appropriate. Sincerely hope that these can give you a good idea of ​​shooting. Here are 15 tips on photography Christmas or ideas.

1. Preparation - Make a list, check it twice

The event you want to shoot down is an important part of determining the success of photography. Prepare them, but also the location selected.
The camera is packed - this would not have said that last year I put this thing in a hurry to forget.
Make sure the battery is fully charged, and have a spare battery.
Have a spare camera memory card - clear all of its contents to ensure adequate capacity.
Let some of the characters into the picture - the family together to eat, drink, etc. - why not leave those memories, so that they will not forget this crazy day.
Consider your room where the lighting effects when shooting. Lighting adequate? The need for flash? Background is too messy?

2. White balance

Someone outdoors often celebrate Christmas in Australia, but other people celebrate indoors. Attention should be paid to when shooting environment is what kind of light, to adjust the white balance accordingly. Of course, if your shots are RAW, you can adjust the white balance later.

3. Build it yourself "studio"

You may have not enough money to rent a studio so that you can build yourself a shooting area for guests to take pictures. A few years ago I was doing, and then treat people sit to take their picture.
As long as the guests come, I will take them pictures, and then place the camera on a tripod, set a short self-exposure time, so you can rest at dinner time for everyone to take pictures. I put "studio" built on a well-lit location, with red velvet curtains for the background, in order to achieve the purpose to create a Christmas atmosphere. Usually I will use a Santa Claus hat, and some shiny stuff to dress them.

4. Capture the preparation phase

Christmas dinner or party is clearly the most exciting part of the day, a good time and also shot some other time, especially early stage of preparation.

- Set the table
- Food preparation
- Layout ornament
- Gift Packaging
- When a child wearing Christmas costumes crying

5. Before and after comparison

After the dinner ended, before taking off to make another place some photos, do some comparison before and after. Of course, you should ensure that shot from the same place.

6. Timing interval shooting

I have a friend, his computer to upload a network camera, placed in a corner of the room, on the front of the table for dinner. He set up a camera taking pictures every five minutes once the results have been got very good series of pictures.

7. Christmas lights: Christmas lights are also a good subject.

8. Find points of interest

All good photos have an attractive focus of attention. Photos of Christmas, the problem is the eye-catching things too much, characters, colors, decorations, food, etc.. Thought more, don't let images is too messy.

9. Make the photo more wonderful

Christmas we definitely want to take a photo together, and often are only taking pictures at night. However, this time we have been very tired, did not look very spiritual. To get everyone looks spiritual, we should just get together when the shooting. Of course, you have to consider everyone's stations and your location.

10. Open gift - continuous shooting mode

Christmas party always has those moments is a great opportunity to shoot, when they opened their gifts and expressions exhibited by the excitement is a good subject. Take your camera transferred to continuous shooting mode, at this festival take more pictures. Finally, you will get a series of good works, people are looking for a gift, the gift of excitement face (and occasionally may be disappointed), you have to capture them down. Of course, do not forget to shoot the giver response.

11. Full screen

When shooting Christmas photos, people often make such a mistake: too far away from target, cause the picture has a large gap. Not only by telescopic lens close shot target , again a little bit close to the best. That is very simple, but it can produce great influence to your photos.

12. Use diffusers

Another common problem, the flash is too bright, the results will be form obvious shadow behind the subject. Use light diffusers can avoid these situations occur. If you have an external flash, it can be against the wall or ceiling. There is also a way to reduce the impact of the flash, but also get interesting effects that use night mode. Your camera will choose a slower shutter speed, so the camera can capture the ambient room light. But should pay attention, it may end up with a very bad picture (but it might be interesting).

13. Macro shooting

Most digital cameras have a macro mode, and more and more people are buying a macro lens. Fitted with a macro lens, take a picture of a few small things around you, such as tree ornaments, decorations on the table, the table of sweets and so on. Sometimes these little things around you is the real attraction.

14. Note aperture

Christmas shooting, I often use aperture priority, so the camera's aperture will be constantly changing depending on the target. For example, when shooting ornament on a Christmas tree, I use a large aperture, so that the background will become blurred. When we all sat down to eat dinner, I would choose a small aperture, so that a large depth of field, to ensure that everyone is in focus.

15. Explore the nearby area

In some cases, you can find a good photo opportunities around the block. Christmas carols, decorations covered with houses, bustling shopping center. To capture a photo of these places, this is how interesting thing. Too funny!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back