Technic for model shot with xmas lights in background tree.

juicegoose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Wife is wanting to do some shots at night by this local tree that has been decorated with xmas lights in and hanging from the tree.

Would you expose for the lights, drop the exposure some then recompose and shoot the person with some fill flash or what.

I want to capture the essence of the the lit trees for a xmas card but have the persons be the main focus.

Last edited:
I was thinking the best bet for punch would be to keep her away from the tree some and use a long zoom lense to get some good bokah.

Would you recommend shooting with a white shoot through umbrella or a reflective umbrella?

I was thinking the best bet for punch would be to keep her away from the tree some and use a long zoom lense to get some good bokah.

Would you recommend shooting with a white shoot through umbrella or a reflective umbrella?

Derrel had a really great post on this earlier in another thread.. it was something something bokeh.. blah blah blah shutter speed.. hmm.. ok, nope, not going to be able to quote it from memory. Let me see if I can find a link.

Expose for the background and use a speedlight to adjust the exposure for the subject.

Yup, keep your fstop low and you'll get nice bokeh!!!

That other thread is here.http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...r-christmas-shots-family-lighting-setups.html

As runnah mentioned, keeping your f/stop in the range of f/2.8 to f/4 will keep the background lights, shown as bright, out of focus circles, looking nice. The longer the lens used, the greater the background SIZE magnification...an 85mm lens will make significantly larger "bokeh balls" than a 28mm lens. If you can use a 200mm lens, you can get the bokeh balls to be pretty large and prominent.

You need a rather long-ish exposure for the lights to register well; elevating the ISO to 400,500,640,or 800, is typically a good idea. Think ISO 640 at 1/30 second at f/2.8, at a minimum amount of exposure for the lights; The model, and the branches of the tree and or location will need its OWN, separate lighting, typically from flash.

That other thread is here.http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...r-christmas-shots-family-lighting-setups.html

As runnah mentioned, keeping your f/stop in the range of f/2.8 to f/4 will keep the background lights, shown as bright, out of focus circles, looking nice. The longer the lens used, the greater the background SIZE magnification...an 85mm lens will make significantly larger "bokeh balls" than a 28mm lens. If you can use a 200mm lens, you can get the bokeh balls to be pretty large and prominent.

You need a rather long-ish exposure for the lights to register well; elevating the ISO to 400,500,640,or 800, is typically a good idea. Think ISO 640 at 1/30 second at f/2.8, at a minimum amount of exposure for the lights; The model, and the branches of the tree and or location will need its OWN, separate lighting, typically from flash.

yup.. that was it. something something bokeh blah blah ISO - and blamo! ART!

Well this is the best shot out of the group. Wife loves it but I'm not really happy with it. Couple of my gripes
1. The shadow on the grass. - I attempted to clone it out through elements and just wasn't happy with the results.(skill level i'm sure)
2. I should have gotten more separation from the tree. - even though I was shooting with a 24-70 f2.8 I shot this shot at 24mm focal length. There wasn't enough room to backup for the 70-300 to work(creek behind me).
3. It would be nice to have a remote flash system that wasn't manual. Currently my flash remotes only send a signal I can not adjust flash power from camera transmitter.
4. The lens had trouble focusing in the darkness. I had to focus manually which worked for this set of pics but some others on the ground that would have been nice were blurry because I forgot to refocus DOH!!.

Let me know what you guys think and especially how this could have been improved pre and post.
Here are the specs of the photo
D7100 nikon 24-70 f2.8
24mm focal length
1/40 at f/2.8
Iso 1600

I had two flashes fired remotely
both were on stands at 45 degree angles to the camera
Both were shot through a white umbrella
Both were set at 1/64

Thanks

Attachments

• $Christmas_Card__19-Edit.jpg
    $Christmas_Card__19-Edit.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 126
Turned out great! The kid looks super-happy! Lighting looks professional, the tree and lawn look good too. Very nice!

Derrel i expected more criticism from you come on there has to be something.

Turned out great! The kid looks super-happy! Lighting looks professional, the tree and lawn look good too. Very nice!

As-stated ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^

How do you guys think I could have not cast the shadow?
Would it have been better to use a silver umbrella over the shoot through? My umbrellas aren't the largest would it have helped to have larger umbrellas?
Lastly i have some paul c buff softboxes and model lamps/strobes (x800s) although I can't bring them on location because they aren't battery powered I've thought of getting adaptors for the soft boxes. Would that have been better then the umbrellas?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back