Technically Amazing Movies?

NeverGlassImaging

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm posting this on a photo forum because I am tired of noobs who have no idea what I am talking about.

As a photographer, I see right away when movies have incredible production values, like great lighting, sharpness, frame composition, post production, etc. Adversely, I see when movies are terribly lit, exposed, processed and directed.

So like I said, my definition of a technically amazing movie is one with superb lighting, exposure, sharpness, composition, post processing, and directing.
NOT JUST YOUR 'FAVOURITE MOVIE'.

A perfect example of a technically magnificent movie is Requiem for a Dream, or Sin City, The Game, 2001 Odyssey, The Machinist.

I am looking to find more movies that have amazing technical values and knew that if anyone could recognize it, it would be fellow photo-philes.

:D

Last edited:
Citizen Kane
/thread.

Anything by Stanley Kubrick, lol.

2001 will give you a new appreciation for 'sharpness' (and it was filmed in 1967 - I think).

The entire movie was filmed on 70mm film... Which is pretty much unheard of. I think you could count the other '70mm movies' on one hand...
Just think - 70mm, that's roughly 4 times the resolution of most other movies. (4 times the surface area of the film anyway...)

Do your self a favor and watch the blu-ray on an HD TV. Mind blowing sharpness. Makes everything else look like it was filmed on an iPhone.
Not to mention that all of the special effects were done in camera...!

Barry Lyndon - well, he had to invent a lens to film that.
Untitled Document

...I can't think of anything else that tops that.

Last edited:
I'm a noob when it comes to the technical aspects of movies but the first one that came to my mind was "Apocalypse Now".

We used to always use that to 'op check' the entertainment system on business jets, lol. Particularly the beach raid scene with the Ride of the Valkyries playing, lol.

2001, naturally
Blade Runner
Baraka ~ Must-see art film/world documentary
Stalker (1979) Obscure Russian film. Pretty damn impressive cinematography/locations/set design given very limited resources.

how about Orlanda

the images were like one magnificant still after the other

how about Orlanda

the images were like one magnificant still after the other

That's just like Requiem for a Dream.

this torrent is a great quality HD of it... such incredible post and composition and directing
Requiem For A Dream Director's Cut 2000 BDRip H264 AAC-SecretMyth (Kingdom-Release) ? Requiem For A Dream Director's Cut ? isoHunt ? the BitTorrent & P2P search engine

I did watch the bluray of 2001, not on an HDTV, mind you, but you're right, man that's 720pHD 30 years ago! I could hardly believe it!

Great suggestions. From my own favs, I might suggest The Machinist, Sin City, Memento, The Game.

Keep the suggestions coming! :mrgreen:

From my own favs, I might suggest The Machinist, Sin City, Memento, The Game.

Keep the suggestions coming! :mrgreen:

I loved The Game! Great movie - especially the first time seeing it.

The entire movie was filmed on 70mm film... that's roughly 4 times the resolution of most other movies. (4 times the surface area of the film anyway...)

I'm no film buff, but wouldn't that be 2x the resolution? 35mm x2 = 70mm? :confused:

The entire movie was filmed on 70mm film... that's roughly 4 times the resolution of most other movies. (4 times the surface area of the film anyway...)

I'm no film buff, but wouldn't that be 2x the resolution? 35mm x2 = 70mm? :confused:

It's wider and taller. It would be like 4 35mm frames arranged in a 2x2 grid.

Edit
I may be wrong on that - not sure now.

It was filmed on Super Panavision 70 though. I don't know the exact dimensions of that.
And, I guess after a little googling, there are a lot more movies filmed on 70mm film than I thought, lol!

Last edited:
Great suggestions. From my own favs, I might suggest The Machinist, Sin City, Memento, The Game.

stole my suggestions. memento is a great movie by the way. I watched Shutter Island last night, it kind of reminded me of memento, :p anyone else agree?

kinda off topic, but i thought Shutter Island had some pretty interesting lighting. 'cept it was done horribly. you could tell that some scenes were composed of two shots 'cause the lighting wasn't very consistent... or maybe it's just me.

Ninja Assassin! horrible horrible horrible movie, watched it 'cause my friend told me it'd give me a few good laughs... from the bad acting, ultraviolence (gotta love the ultraviolence, right, alex?), and lack of plot, had some pretty nice shallow depth of field scenes though.

off the top of my head, in the movie Australia (not really that great of a flick), there's the scene where you first see Hugh Jackman sitting in a bar and he's looking over his shoulder. There's this really cool gridded or snooted light on his face and the whole frame is just lit perfectly. I't s a great still.

Max Payne had some pretty cool lighting.

I'm trying to think of movies where it's not overloaded with CGI..

We used to always use that to 'op check' the entertainment system on business jets, lol. Particularly the beach raid scene with the Ride of the Valkyries playing, lol.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning... The smell, you know that gasoline smell... Smells like, victory"

Can some movie nut please try to explain what is meant by "Amazing Technical Value"? Thread seems to beg a listing of people's favorite movies which may or may not be "Technically Amazing".

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning... The smell, you know that gasoline smell... Smells like, victory"

...Sometimes my job can be quite fun. :lol:

I don't work on 'those' planes anymore, but I swear - you wouldn't believe how much money some people dump into a business jet.

Customers have been anything from 'some rich guy' or CEO's of large corporations to Presidents or Royalty. Sports teams, banks, you name it.

Exotic wood, gold everything. lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back