The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This young man, probably 14 or 15, was quite friendly as my son and I wandered around this temple in a small river city in eastern Myanmar. He was happy to have his picture taken.
He was rather unusual in that his face was covered in thanakha

a yellowish-white cosmetic paste made from ground bark. It is a distinctive feature of the culture of Myanmar, seen commonly applied to the face and sometimes the arms of women and girls, and is used to a lesser extent also by men and boys.[1][2][3] The use of thanaka has also spread to neighbouring countries including Thailand.[2][3][4]
Thanaka cream has been used by Burmese women for over 2000 years.[4] It has a fragrant scent somewhat similar to sandalwood.[2][7] The creamy paste is applied to the face in attractive designs, the most common form being a circular patch on each cheek, nose, sometimes made stripey with the fingers known as thanaka bè gya, or patterned in the shape of a leaf, often also highlighting the bridge of the nose with it at the same time.[4] It may be applied from head to toe (thanaka chi zoun gaung zoun). Apart from cosmetic beauty, thanaka also gives a cooling sensation and provides protection from sunburn.[1] It is believed to help remove acne and promote smooth skin.[4] It is also an anti-fungal.[2] The active ingredients of thanaka are coumarin and marmesin.[8]
Thanaka - Wikipedia

_07983231139-2-Edit-2.jpg

Very interesting.

This young man, probably 14 or 15, was quite friendly as my son and I wandered around this temple in a small river city in eastern Myanmar. He was happy to have his picture taken.
He was rather unusual in that his face was covered in thanakha

a yellowish-white cosmetic paste made from ground bark. It is a distinctive feature of the culture of Myanmar, seen commonly applied to the face and sometimes the arms of women and girls, and is used to a lesser extent also by men and boys.[1][2][3] The use of thanaka has also spread to neighbouring countries including Thailand.[2][3][4]
Thanaka cream has been used by Burmese women for over 2000 years.[4] It has a fragrant scent somewhat similar to sandalwood.[2][7] The creamy paste is applied to the face in attractive designs, the most common form being a circular patch on each cheek, nose, sometimes made stripey with the fingers known as thanaka bè gya, or patterned in the shape of a leaf, often also highlighting the bridge of the nose with it at the same time.[4] It may be applied from head to toe (thanaka chi zoun gaung zoun). Apart from cosmetic beauty, thanaka also gives a cooling sensation and provides protection from sunburn.[1] It is believed to help remove acne and promote smooth skin.[4] It is also an anti-fungal.[2] The active ingredients of thanaka are coumarin and marmesin.[8]
Thanaka - Wikipedia

View attachment 184949
Very nice, love the unposed nature of the shot yet lovely composition--that's the best kind of street photography.

Great shot and interesting backstory. Think that creme would work on wrinkles???? LOL

Interesting back story, that stuff reminds me of the calomine lotion that my mother used for any kind of itch or bite. My face and body must have looked similar when I had the chickenpox.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back