Teleconverer trouble

a_scayola

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I recently bought a Vivitar 2x teleconverter and it doesnt seem to go very well with the intended lens, a 75-205 Hoya. I cant focus on infinity. I've tried zooming in and out, different apertures and its the same thing.
However, the teleconvertor works perfectly on my Hanimar 135mm; no focus problems at all.
Anyone has an idea of why this happens, and if there is a way to fix it?

By the way, I'm using this lenses on a manual-only zenit camera.

Thanks for your help,
Andres

Any ideas, anyone?

I don't know but I would guess that the TC does not work as well with the slower zoom lens as it does with the 135 prime. Sorry I can't be of much help.

:edit:

What I meant to say is that maybe the zoom lens does not have a big enough aperture for the TC to function properly. A 2X TC will usually cost two stops of light...which will make the viewfinder darker and harder to focus.

Thanks for the reply.

How far back does the rear element of the lens protrude? It may be that it's just too close or too far away from the teleconverter element to work properly.

Well, the rear elemen doesn't seem to protrude at all. It's flush with the body of the lens. Only the thread protrudes back.
I thought about the distance being a problem, but the teleconverter doesnt seem to be adjustable at all, and I havent seen any kind of "spacer" rings for this.

Any more ideas?

Most reactions

Back