Teleconverter and/or Macro Extension for my 70-300mm or 50mm????

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

So I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the 70-300mm mentioned here http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nikon-lenses/344342-convince-me-70-300mm.html

However, I was also doing some research on macro tubes and teleconverters. I can't seem to find the "best" ones on Amazon. They all seem to have issues, and I would want to spend no more than $200 on a teleconverter, and tubes are pretty cheap, I'm just trying to figure out which one to get!

For those of you who have 70-300mm, would you recommend using a teleconverter or macro tubes, or would it be too heavy?

What about a smaller lens, like my 50mm prime?

I would like some feedback from those who actually own teleconverters and/or macro tubes and can give me their personal opinion on them and their experience with various lenses!

Thanks!

Have you considered doing a search here for teleconverters? The topic comes up about once a week or so.

TC's have their place but trying to turn a 300mm lens into a 600mm lens isn't one of them. A 2x TC costs 2 full stops of light so that f/4 lens becomes an f/8 lens wide open. Plus there is a sometimes substantial loss in image quality. Worse with cheap TC's, less with good TC's.

I have a 2x and a 1.4x. The 2x isn't worth using for a paperweight however I do use the 1.4x from time to time.

Kenko's extension tubes are the best option for Nikon autofocusing lenses. PERIOD.

There is another "class" of AF extension tubes below Kenko, sold through the big web dealers like Adorama and B&H Photo. Price was $79 per 3-tube set, last time I checked. These 2nd-tier choices are like the ProOptic brand from Adorama; they maintain AF, and have CPU contacts for full metering and EXIF and stuff.

Then there are the fleabay specials that have NO CPU contacts, and NO autofocus, and which sell for incredibly low prices. Stay away from these extension tubes unless all you want is a one-weekend item to tinker with the toss aside.

The Kenko 1.4x TC units I think will work on the 70-300 VR-G zoom lens. I just tried to mount the 70-300 VR-G onto a Nikon TC-14e converter and it WILL NOT FIT.

To add to Derrels point teleconverters have a protruding front element, this physically limits what lenses they can and cannot mount to. Kenko Pro series have the smallest protruding element but its still there (note Kenko also has a lower grade of teleconverters which I'd advise avoiding). Do check if your lens will physically fit as if it does not you won't get much use out of the TC.

Note that your 70-300mm is likely to already be softer at the 300mm end to the 70mm. Adding a TC is going to magnify that softness and results might be lower than you expect. You'll lose a stop of light to the TC but you'll also likely need to stop down around one stop to retain sharpness - so you in effect end up losing two stops for a 1.4TC and three stops for a 2*TC

1.4 you might get away with - 2*TC is way too demanding for this kind of lens (70-200mm VR2/IS2 can take it as can a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS and a 200-500mm f2.8 otherwise most other zooms can't take a 2*TC)

The Kenko 1.4x TC units I think will work on the 70-300 VR-G zoom lens. I just tried to mount the 70-300 VR-G onto a Nikon TC-14e converter and it WILL NOT FIT.
They work just fine. That's what I have. I STRONGLY recommend the "Pro" series as opposed to the standard series. They are FAR better and more than worth the difference in cost.

They work just fine. That's what I have. I STRONGLY recommend the "Pro" series as opposed to the standard series. They are FAR better and more than worth the difference in cost.

Are you referring to the Kenko? What model? Do you have a link?

Anyone have thoughts on macro extension tubes?

Personally, I'd hold off on a TC until you get the lens and actually use it. You may find you don't need the TC.

Personally, I'd hold off on a TC until you get the lens and actually use it. You may find you don't need the TC.

I'm sure effective 450mm will definitely suit my needs for awhile, I just want to get closer and closer to the moon! :D

If you want to get to any magnification that would qualify as "macro" you'll need the full set of kendo tubes. I've used them on the Nikon 70-300VR G and it's ok. It didn't get close enough to 1:1 to satisfy my needs. The other thing you should know is that both sets of Kenkos I had the rings needed tightening every month after six months of use. Common eye glasses repair kit has the screwdriver necessary for this.

I used them on a D90 then D7000.

I don't use them anymore. Generally I get enough magnification from my D7000 + Siggy 150 + Sigma 1.4x TC + r1 + SB-700 on a tripod.

Are you referring to the Kenko? What model? Do you have a link?
THK Photo Products, Inc.
I have the 1.4x and it works pretty decently. Do NOT expect the same level of image quality, do NOT expect miracles. Teleconverters are not a panacea for instantly increasing the focal length of a lens, there are costs involved (not monetary costs but image costs). I usually find that cropping an image without a TC works better than not cropping an image shot with a TC.

THK Photo Products, Inc.
I have 12mm, 2mm, 25mm, and 35mm. They can be stacked to increase magnification but there are limitations.

They are available at most equipment suppliers. I bought mine from B&H as I recall (could have been Adorama though).

Well, what? Nobody OWES you a response. You might try "Thank you" from time to time for the responses that you do get as opposed to demands for further responses.

The first is just a reversing ring. Similar devices are used frequently for macro photography. The second is for a set of step-down rings to allow large filters to be used on smaller lenses. It has no bearing on shooting macro whatsoever.

Most reactions

Back