Teleconverter and/or Macro Extension for my 70-300mm or 50mm????

Holy snickerdoodles... 480sparky, thank you! Post of the month award goes to you! I never knew that about the aperture blades. It's a lot more mechanical than I thought! Now I just need to get a D lens. Was that your camera that you took pictures of? If so, can you post any macro shots you've taken with that lens setup, or do you have a thread you can direct me to where you have?

Holy snickerdoodles... 480sparky, thank you! Post of the month award goes to you! I never knew that about the aperture blades. It's a lot more mechanical than I thought! Now I just need to get a D lens. Was that your camera that you took pictures of? If so, can you post any macro shots you've taken with that lens setup, or do you have a thread you can direct me to where you have?

I'm sure I have some, but I wouldn't remember which ones they are now. This is the only one I know for sure:

106Reversed50mm.jpg

I'm sure I have some, but I wouldn't remember which ones they are now. This is the only one I know for sure:

106Reversed50mm.jpg

That's so cool! I'm trying to decide now between 50mm and 105mm..

If you are going to try to macro anything that is living go with the 105mm at minimum.

I think I'm gonna try lens reversal with my 50mm prime before anything else. Just dropped a fair bit of cash on the 70-300.

So I do at one point want to get a manual macro lens, but for now I still want to try lens reversal and lens stacking... for fun, if anything.

So I'm thinking of attaching my 70-300mm normally to my camera body and then reversing my 50mm prime onto my 70-300mm. Since you didn't give a tutorial yet on lens stacking, 480sparky, I've got a question or two.

1) The 70-300 won't be reversed right, just the 50mm?

2) I know I need a reverse ring for the 50mm, but I would assume it would also need to be a step down ring since the filter sizes for my 50mm and 70-300mm are different. Or can I attach a step down ring to the reverse ring?

3) In this setup, which lens would control the aperture? I would still be using the Fotodiox on the end of the 50mm for the limited aperture control, but what about the 70-300mm's aperture?

Here's what's in my Amazon shopping cart so far: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ODKHG0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER AND http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G45VTE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Oh, and... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KZ70JE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

(Yes, that's a joke. I lost mine).

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So I do at one point want to get a manual macro lens, but for now I still want to try lens reversal and lens stacking... for fun, if anything.

So I'm thinking of attaching my 70-300mm normally to my camera body and then reversing my 50mm prime onto my 70-300mm. Since you didn't give a tutorial yet on lens stacking, 480sparky, I've got a question or two.

There's two reversing-the-lens techniques. There's reversing ONE lens on the camera,:

06Reversed50mm.jpg

and there's reversing ONE lens in front of ANOTHER.

0850reversedonmacro.jpg

I've never tried reversing a 50 prime in front of a 70-300 (as I don't have the right filter adapters) but a quick free-lensing of my 50/D with my 70-300 @70mm shows I can obtain focus (be warned: it is possible to create a focus point that actually inside a lens!), but with severe vignetting. Zooming in to about 135mm I couldn't get anything to focus.

2) I know I need a reverse ring for the 50mm, but I would assume it would also need to be a step down ring since the filter sizes for my 50mm and 70-300mm are different. Or can I attach a step down ring to the reverse ring?

You would either need a 72-72 reversing ring, then a 72-52 step down, or a 52-52 reversing and a 52-72 step up. If you scrounge ebay, you might find a single ring that will do the job, but you may need to get two rings. But one of them will need to be a reversing ring, meaning there's male threads on both sides.

3) In this setup, which lens would control the aperture? I would still be using the Fotodiox on the end of the 50mm for the limited aperture control, but what about the 70-300mm's aperture?

You'd need to hold the 50's blades open, and the 70-300 would be controlled by the camera.

Thanks for the advice, y'all! Here is the first picture I've taken with my reverse ring! This was with JUST the 50mm.

$DSC_0630.JPG

I could use some better framing/composition, but I think this was a good test of the magnification power.

Non 1:36am bump

Thanks for the advice, y'all! Here is the first picture I've taken with my reverse ring! This was with JUST the 50mm.

View attachment 61004

I could use some better framing/composition, but I think this was a good test of the magnification power.

Pupil is terribly cloudy... you might want to get your peepers checked.

View attachment 61004

Pupil is terribly cloudy... you might want to get your peepers checked.

I did! They said they were healthy! That leads me to assume I did something wrong in taking the photo... any ideas? Or maybe it's just like that b/c of the dilation?

There's two reversing-the-lens techniques. There's reversing ONE lens on the camera,:

06Reversed50mm.jpg

and there's reversing ONE lens in front of ANOTHER.

0850reversedonmacro.jpg

I've never tried reversing a 50 prime in front of a 70-300 (as I don't have the right filter adapters) but a quick free-lensing of my 50/D with my 70-300 @70mm shows I can obtain focus (be warned: it is possible to create a focus point that actually inside a lens!), but with severe vignetting. Zooming in to about 135mm I couldn't get anything to focus.

You would either need a 72-72 reversing ring, then a 72-52 step down, or a 52-52 reversing and a 52-72 step up. If you scrounge ebay, you might find a single ring that will do the job, but you may need to get two rings. But one of them will need to be a reversing ring, meaning there's male threads on both sides.

You'd need to hold the 50's blades open, and the 70-300 would be controlled by the camera.

I think the terminology for a male-male thread is actually a "coupling ring." I got a reverse ring but that's only to attach the lens to the camera, not another lens. I'm ordering a coupling ring now!

Most reactions

Back