Teleconverter Compatability

mjd525

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Digital Camera Experts.....
I have a Nikon D7000 digital camera, and a AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G Lens. I am looking to put in between a teleconverter.
I have borrowed a Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14EII 1.4x but it does not seem to attach. Are these NOT compatable? If no, what type of Teleconverter IS compatable with my D7000 body, and the 70-300mm lens?

Thank you very much for your insight.

AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G Lens. I am looking to put in between a teleconverter.

Nope sorry to disagree here. But teleconverters are designed for faster f4 or faster fixed aperture lenses.

Using a 1.4x on my Nikon 80-200 f2.8 made for a great 280mm f4 with minimal impact in speed and little in the way of taking Hits to Image IQ. On the other had putting it on my

Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR

which is even a better or Same? as you didn't mention VR in your version you listed. And turned into a always AF hunting never locking AF next to useless. Also significant hits in speed making it into an f8 and severely impact Image IQ.

So I Say NO! it's a waste of monies on any of the slower variable f-stop zooms!

Teleconverters made sense back in the days of film when resolution was quite low compared to modern digital. Today your much better off just cropping, as u won't sacrifice lens speed and you may actually end up with a clearer photo.

I simply must agree with orb9220 and djacobx372... using ANY teleconverter with the 70-300 VR Nikkor makes absolutely no sense...the converter brings with it a quality loss, and a loss of effective f/stop...as stated, it's now better to crop-in at the computer...from an image that has not been impaired by a converter.

Most reactions

Back