Teleconverter for Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM

HughGuessWho

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for a teleconverter for a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM. The best price I can find for a Canon EF 1.4X and 2.0X is about $475 US, however, I have seen a few articles saying that the Kenko 1.4X PRO 300 work just as well and they sell for about $250 US. I find it hard to believe they could be as good quality at that price difference. Has anyone had any experience with the Kenko teleconverter?

Also, Kenko's description states "Common magnifications are 1.4 times and 2 times, but the Kenko teleplus PRO 300
AF converter has a 3x magnification." I find that a bit confusing. How could a 1.4 and a 2.0 have a magnification of 3X?

Any insight would be appreciated.

The Kenko version will work, but I found in real world experience comparing the two using a gray card with the same light source that there was just under another half stop of light with the Kenko and focusing was slower with the Canon version. Also, be aware that the new Canon version is much better than the previous model of both the 1.4 and 2 TC. If you are not using the new 70-200 2.8 IS II, instead the older version I, then I highly recommend sticking only to the 1.4 version. With the 2TC there was a bit too much of a loss in quality for me. The new version lens works great though with the new version 2TC.

The Teleplus Pro 300 is a 3x teleconverter, but it also comes with a 3 stop loss in light. I think that takes your f2.8 lens and now turns it into an f8 at it's widest, not very usefull.

Last edited:
Well my Kenko Teleplus pro300 is a 2X and works fantastic on prime lenses but i would not use a 2X on a zoom lens
This is it on a 300F2.8L
188042218_XuHN3-L.jpg

Great action shot

I use the Kenko pro 1.4x and it works fantastic on my 70-200 and 300mm lens. The only draw back for me is the focus speed is reduced. I have not compared it to the Canon version since I do not own one.

The Teleplus Pro 300 is a 3x teleconverter, but it also comes with a 3 stop loss in light. I think that takes your f2.8 lens and now turns it into an f8 at it's widest, not very usefull.
Mine isn't a 3x it's a 1.4x. And yes, it is a Pro 300 TC. Info is Here.

Most reactions

Back