Teleconverter for Nikon 80-200 AF-D

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well as baseball, track, and other outdoor sports start up, I have been looking into teleconverters. I know that they reduce the IQ of the lens but I just bought my 80-200 (two ring af-d) and I really cant spend much money on any glass. So I have been looking at KEH.com and they had a few TC's that were in my price range.

The main thing I want is to retain the AF capability between my D2H and my 80-200. IQ doesn't matter too much because the pictures will be going into my schools newspaper and if I ever need a sharper image I can just take it off.

So will these two retain the AF on my lens? And would the AF be any slower?

Nikon Autofocus 2X KENKO TELEPLUS MC7 AF-D WITH CAPS TELECONVERTER - KEH.com
&
Nikon Autofocus 1.4X TAMRON-F D TELECONVERTER - KEH.com

Well trying to crop a 4mp image can get sorta nasty. And allot of my photos get put in 1/4 page slots which you really need all of those 4Mp's. But yeah, if I had a 10Mp camera that would probably workout well.

If I ever get a TC it'll most likely be a Kenko pro series, pretty versatile and the reviews are good.

Yeah I've heard good things about them too, but I cant spend $200. I would like to but I still need to pay off my 80-200 and SB-600 (I dont owe any banks money just parents)

(I dont owe any banks money just parents)
HOLD OFF.... DON'T DO ANYTHING. Pay off what you have, then move forward. I'd rather owe a bank money than my parents. Of course, my parents a far removed from helping me out and I am happy. Owe no one for this hobby.

The 2.0 TC is a light whore. The 1.4 is the best for IQ with certain lenses & the 1.7TC is okay.

ha, thanks kundalini but I have some birthday money and my mom doesn't want it so she said get whatever with it. So I probably will go with the 1.4.

I have the Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 1.4x for my Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 (two-ring). It allows screw-drive autofocus, but the lens performs much slower with the TC. Not a problem for non-moving subjects, but forget it for tracking fast moving subjects. The speed is lost in the extra mechanical linkage for the screw-drive mechanism. Although your D2H will probably drive it much better than my D90.

Image quality is great though, definitely worth the purchase.

Well trying to crop a 4mp image can get sorta nasty. And allot of my photos get put in 1/4 page slots which you really need all of those 4Mp's. But yeah, if I had a 10Mp camera that would probably workout well.
Ah... fair enough.

The Kenko coverters are great i bought a 2X for my primes just to see if i used one enough, if i did i was going to buy the Canon converter but the Kenko was soo good i didn't bother with the Canon, I would only use a 1.4x on a zoom though. All my cricket shots are with the 2X

Most reactions

New Topics

Back