Teleconverter Help!?!!!

Katsi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I have bought a mirror lens, have done a bit of reading and would like to get a 2x teleconverter to experiment with. I know I will lose a few stops of light with the converter. I have a m43 camera so I use adapter rings on most lenses. The mirror lens I have bought is a nikon mount, I have an adapter to m43 so I can use it normally but..... Do I buy a nikon fit teleconverter and the adapt the teleconverter to m43?? Or do I buy a m43 teleconverter and adapt the lens to fit the converter? Will that work? Any ideas?? Don't want to invest in the wrong thing.......

The TC needs to be right behind the lens, so you'd need a Nikon F TC.

I'm guessing it's an f/8 lens, as that's most common. But even a 1.4 TC will make the lens f/11. That's very dark in any camera.

A 2x TC on a mirror lens sounds like a nightmare. I'm going to suggest that it will better to shoot the lens straight, with no TC of any kind, and then simply crop.

I would use an TC with the Nikon F mount and then have the M43 adapter between that and the camera. However as noted by Derrel, the 2x or really any TC with a fixed f/stop mirror lens is going to be very difficult to use. I used a 500mm f/8 with a 2x TC with an old Pentax ME Super and it was almost black in the viewfinder and took quite a bit of time to focus. It would be interesting to find out if a M43 could focus with this combination (I'm expecting your screen is showing you the same image you would see after taking the shot). It will almost certainly have to be a static subject. I would not buy the TC unless you have a lens that you know you can use it with.

Thanks for your responses. Yeah I was worried about the drop in light. You are correct it is an f8 lens and it sounds like a nightmare to me too, hence my question really. I have a metabones speed booster which will give me back 1 stop of light, I believe that I would normally loose 2 stops with a x2 TC. With the metabones I assume that at x2 I should therefore be working at f11 eventually? Well, I actually plan on only shooting the moon really.... So something that is pretty static. I am aware that focussing will be difficult but I right in thinking that I will get, focus permitting, a cleaner image with a TC than a digital crop??

It's gonna be somewhat tricky...with an effective 1200mm lens at f/11 at 1/250 second or so, the moon might almost be a bit blurry from motion at that long length and at such a slow shutter speed...you'll probably end up needing an elevated ISO value of 400, 500, or 640 to get the sharpness you want...plus the added optics...I think it's a crapshoot on which will actually be better, the converter or just cropping...you might end up moving to 800 ISO in order to get a safe, good shutter speed.

Thanks Derrel. I hear ya! Yeah, the need for elevated shutter speed was worrying me a bit, even with the slow movement of the moon I guess it will be enough to blur a bit. Especially at that effective focal length. Perhaps maybe cropping in will be enough.... I think the teleconverter people may have lost out here........

AFAIK it should work OK either way round, but there's only one micro 4/3 TC available and that's only recently released. Many more options with Nikon TCs.
Like most of the other replies though I don't think you'll find it worth the effort. Unless it's a top quality lens a digital crop will give much better results.

Most reactions

Back