Teleconverter help

JonnyVPA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Scranton, PA is my Hometown but im constantly movi
I just got a Tamron 1.4X Teleconvertor for my Nikons.... but im having some trouble with the autofocus..... it seems to make the AF feature slower and sometimes just blow over the focus point and i will have to press the shutterbutton several times before it focuses..... when i have hte converter off all my lenses work great....... anyone have anything for me?????

That's part of using a TC. When you use a TC, less light passes through, which is why you lose a full stop of speed. Less light means slower AF. Teleconverters quite often visibly soften an image as well (The Nikon 1.4's the sharpest I've used, but even it's visibly softer than no TC), making it tougher to find an area and more likely to blow over.

For starters, never use it with a variable aperture lens (the ones that say, for instance, f/3.5-5.6 or something similar). Second, look up a compatibility table for what it works with to make sure you don't damage your camera or lenses. And third, never connect or disconnect it with the camera on.

JonnyVPA said:
so do you have any suggestions on using it ????....

Well, there used to be this technique called manual focus. Sorry, I'm a smart ass. :) Most AF cameras stop auto-focusing at f/8, and start having problems as you get closer to f/8. Remember, when your camera is focusing the lens is wide open no matter what you have the aperture set to. But when you add a x1.4 teleconverter you are turning a f/2.8 lens into a f/4, a f/4 into a f/5.6, and a f/5.6 into a f/8. If you are using a x2 teleconverter it turns a f/4 lens into a f/8.

For Zooms, TCs are basically worthless unless you have pro-grade f/2.8 glass (which isn't cheap), mind you. Primes you may have a touch more flexibility, but at that point you'd probably want to be using Manual Focus.

all my primes are 2.8 or 1.4 manual focus Nikkors.... so you think this will be worth using.... i have an 80-200 f/4.5 nikkor from teh late 70s ..... which im assuming the TC makes it into a 300 i think.... but is it worthit .... sorry im kinda drunk..... lemme know though

I'd still look up a compatibility chart for the Teleconverter to make sure your lenses will work with it.

From what you've said... IMO, no it isn't worth getting. Save the money towards something which will work better for you.

Rob

Most reactions

Back