Teleconverter TC-20E-II questions.

Lightsped

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A Nikon friend of mine here at work bought a TC-20E-II used off of ebay. He currently owns a D5300, a 50mm 1.4G, and a few other lenses. We tried to get the TC-20E-II to fit on the D5300 and his 50mm 1.4G and we weren't able too. The TC-20E-II fits great on the body, but his 50mm lens could not attach to it.

We also tried my D3100 and 35mm 1.8G and had the same results. I did not bring any of my pro lenses to try. Does the TC-20E-II only fit certain lenses? If so, which?

Thanks

Nikon TC units have a small tab near the lens mounting area, and that tab prevents mounting of non-compatible lenses. It is designed to prevent damage to lens or converter if there is an incompatibility.

Nikon TC units have a small tab near the lens mounting area, and that tab prevents mounting of non-compatible lenses. It is designed to prevent damage to lens or converter if there is an incompatibility.

And to prevent slow lenses from being used as many cameras will not autofocus well with an f/5.6 lens combined with a 2cTC (effectively an f/11 lens).

ETA: I suspect most wide, super-wide and fisheye lenses are on the incompacito list as putting a TC on such lenses seems a bit counter-intuitive.

And to prevent slow lenses from being used as many cameras will not autofocus well with an f/5.6 lens combined with a 2cTC (effectively an f/11 lens).

ETA: I suspect most wide, super-wide and fisheye lenses are on the incompacito list as putting a TC on such lenses seems a bit counter-intuitive.

I own a Kenko Pro 300 DGX teleconverter, and for the heck of it I've put my 35mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8 lenses on it just to see what I would get. The AF goes totally berserk, and image quality is not too good.

The optics in a TC are optimized to be used with longer focal length lenses (usually beyond 100mm).

I own a Kenko Pro 300 DGX teleconverter, and for the heck of it I've put my 35mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8 lenses on it just to see what I would get. The AF goes totally berserk, and image quality is not too good.

The optics in a TC are optimized to be used with longer focal length lenses (usually beyond 100mm).

I've tried mine on my Siggy 8mm circular fisheye and it basically turns it into a ff fisheye. A TON of weird distortion along the edges and especially in the corner. But sharper than I thought it would be.

Also of note: there are some lenses that will be permanently damaged if you try to install it on them. The teleconverter is a very nice unit but only to be used with compatible lenses. I use one on my 70-200mm f 2.8 and it does a marvelous job. Best results with a steady tripod as it takes the lens down a few stops..

Most reactions

Back