telephoto lens for olympus

jdballin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey guys im new to the site. I just got into the photography scene and had some questions hopefully someone could answer. Im currently in hawaii and looking to take some pics of the surf with my olympus evolt e500. IM looking for a telephoto lens to get some shots of surfing on some outer breaks from the beach. I was told i dont have to use the olympus brand lenses and could use others such as sigma tamron, vivitar, etc. Could someone please tell me if this is true and also would i need some kind of adapter to mount the lens to my camera. Im sorry for the non photography terms please correct me and let me know the proper names of the equipment so i can learn. Oh and how should i go about choosing a lens. thanks for all the help. have great day!!!!!:wink:

i know sigma makes lenses that fit olympus or you could get Quantaray which I believe is a sigma with a genaric name on it (which they are cheaper in price) just do a web search for what your looking for.

You could use Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina...

Quantaray is junk mostly...

How long do you need it? If you're doing surfing...a 300mm would probably be decent without breaking your bank. Especially since most surfing is done in bright sunlight...so you wouldn't need the fastest lens in the world.

I'm sure somebody can help as to exactly what lens you'd want...I haven't used any Olympus stuff, and hear little about it on here...

thanks for the replies. For getting a lens like a sigma or tokina etc do i need some kind of adapter to fit my camera since its not an olympus brand? or will it screw right in? thanks

You could use Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina...

Quantaray is junk mostly...
From what i've read and heard and seen Quantaray is Sigma. Put them side by side and cover the name and there the same. Quantaray is a store name for Ritz like kenmore is for Sears. All sigma products but assembled and stamped by Ritz. So hear you list sigma on your list as first, and say "Quantaray is junk mostly..." When there the same lens:lol:

You need a lens that will fit the 4/3rds system. Those are made by Olympus, Leica, Panasonic and Sigma. I am not aware of lenses for the 4/3rds system made by Tokina or Tamron but I may be wrong. Have a look here for the lenses compatible with your camera an sold by B&H. I am not quite sure what is required from a lens (max aperture and focal length) to take pictures of people surfing, so I cannot really recommend any of the lenses from the link. Sorry.

remember that your crop factor is 2x (99% sure) so if you get a 75-300 for instance.. it'll really be a 150-600 equiv

Most reactions

New Topics

Back