Telephoto Lens Recommendations/Feedback

Shawnda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking into purchasing a new lens for my camera. I find myself going to locations, in which I need that wonderful zoom lens for (but haven't got yet). I have a Nikon D40, just to give ya an idea of what kind of equipment I am working with.

I am looking at Amazon.com: Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SLD DG Macro Lens with built in motor for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo.

I have no experience with Sigma lens, and didn't want to make a decision in which I would regret. So, I thought it best to talk to some folks who have this type of lens or from this manufacturer.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd strongly recomend spending a little more an go for the APO version of this lens since the APO coatings make a noticable difference in image quality (esp at the 300mm end of the lens).

All in all for its price point in the market its a good zoom lens which also sports a good close up shooting (macro) feature which is good for flowers and similar sized subjects. I would also recomend picking up a tripod to use with this lens since even a cheap $15 tripod can make a big help in getting sharper shots at the long end of the lens (esp when the light is a little less than ideal)

@ Overread -

I have the tripod covered, with no problems at all :D

I didn't see the APO version available, but I'll have to double look.

I do not have a Canon, but rather a Nikon :).

Yep just noticed and edited as you replied :)

Well, there are better choices but none of them are even close to this price.

The nikon 70-300mm af-s VR would be my recommendation if you could afford it.

Most reactions

Back