Telephoto Lens

Alex_Bergshoeff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased a Nikon D90 and also a 18-105mm lens which I am confident in using. It also came with a 2.5 Vitacom Telephoto Lens. I have had a play around with the telephoto lens but I even when I zoom right in the telephoto lens still cuts off the corners of the photo. How can I fix this?

Also I am looking a purchasing a lens suitable for landscape photograph. What type of wide angle lens would be best for this?

Thanks!

I've never heard of Vitacom. A telephoto lens shouldn't be vignetting on a D90 (which is a crop sensor). I'd wager it's just a crappy off-brand quality.

Tokina and Sigma make some good wide-angle lenses for $3-600 bucks, depending on how fast you need it. I've rented the Tokina 12-24 and it's pretty stellar for the price. I haven't used any of Nikon's wide-angle offerings.

Thanks for your response.
I thought that might be the case, they prob just gave it away for free to get rid of it!

Sorry if this is a silly question, but does the wild angle go ontop of the 18-105 or instead of?

Ta!

If your telephoto lens goes on top of another lens, then thats why your having problems. You may as well try taking a photo by putting your lens up to a pair of binoculars.

Any lens that screws on top of another lens is a total gimmick. I'd never even consider using one. Ever.

Any lens that screws on top of another lens is a total gimmick. I'd never even consider using one. Ever.

Not so Destin, some add-on lenses are very good supplements. For instance the Raynox DCR-150 & 250 & one also by Canon for close-up/macro shooting. I also use a Sony DH1758 tele-converter on my bridge camera for increased telephoto & it works great.

Nikkor 17-55 2.8 is a great wide angle landscape lens. If you are more interested in ultra wide angles, then I would suggest something along the lines of a Sigma 10-20 or Tonika 11-16 2.8- I have had limited experience with both of those and they are very nice, build quality is on par with nikons offering of the 10-24... The build of the 17-55 blows all three away FYI.

I would also be looking for a good tripod and mount system if you plan on shooting scapes.

p!nK

I have the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens on my Canon Digital Rebel XT and love it. I haven't been able to use it a whole lot here in Afghanistan but the little I have used it has produced great results. I've mostly used it for scenic/landscape shots but I've also found it works well for some more photojournalistic type shots of our platoon conducting patrol briefs and training the Afghan National Police. It works for those because I can get the whole group in one shot.

I'm liking the Tokina 11-16 with the constant 2.8 ability

Lots of people recommend the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, but never mention any reviews:

Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX (Canon) - Review / Lens Test Report - Analysis ....the lens has also a bug - lateral chromatic aberrations - visible as color shadows at harsh contrast transitions. The characteristic is quite uniform across the range with an average pixel width at around 1.5-1.9px at the image borders..... A quite typical flaw in many Tokina lenses actually.

Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX (Canon) - Review / Lens Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict ...Typical for most Tokina lenses it has one weakness: lateral CAs which are very high at all settings.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back