telephoto Lens

RedDevilUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i am after a Lens for my D80 and i need a telephoto lens, as i am seeing the limitations with my 18-70 lens too often :(

the 3 lenses i have narrowed my choice down too are these

Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED Lens
Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 APO DG (Nikon AF)
Sigma 170-500mm f5-6.3 APO (Nikon AF)

my budget is around £500 ($1000) although the last lens there is £530

what would you do... i want one now cos i go on holiday in 3 weeks and want to shoot with it :D

You already know which one I'll recommend! :wink:

Nikon D80
Nikon N75
Nikon 18-55mm f3.5-4.5 DX EDII
Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 IF ED VR <<------ :D
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Sigma 28-300mm f4-6.3
Adobe CS2

LOL :D

If you get the sigmas you'll have either 65mm or 100mms missing from the middle of your range. And unless you are shooting birds or bombs you really want that particular range. ;)

mike

;)

As in, between 70mm (the long end of your current lens) and 135mm (the short end of the Sigma).

im tempted by the Nikon lens, as my filters would fit the 76mm fitting same as my current lens

but i am also tempted by the 500mm for obvious reason (seeing a mosquitos balls a mile away :) )

not that im into mozzys balls by the way lol

reviews

Sigma 170-500mm
This lens has been a big disappointment. I have owned this lens for 5 years and have yet to take a photo that I would consider sharp. Even stopped down, tripod mounted, mirror locked up with cable release still will not produce a sharp image.

Sigma 135-400mm
Lens creep has not been a problem in my copy but if you are using it out past 300mm then just consider it an f11 lens. It is just too soft under that. I miss the speed of my other lenses on anything but the brightest days and let me tell you BRING A TRIPOD. Because of the slow aperature even at 135 a tripod is a real help

Umm puts me off :( the VR on the Nikon is a must off tripod, so im gonna get that i think, i will save for a super telephoto after the holiday, ive also got the option of the X2 on the 300mm... so thats a potential of 600mm?

I had that sigma 135-400mm lens and could not recommend it that strongly.
The AF is slow and noisy and does not aquire focus on things like flying birds or fast moving subjects that well.
I used it very little due to its shortcomings,although I bought it for 350 used on ebay,and sold it later for the same price so I wasnt out anything.

If its a telephoto lens, that you can hand hold, that you're after, why not buy a 70-200mm F/2.8? I don't know if you need a longer lens than that but it might be worth looking into that kind of telephoto.

i decided to go with the nikkor lens, it makes the most sense really.

it carries on from my present lens... ie 70mm now 70mm to 300mm its also VR and its a 67mm filter screw thread... so its the same size as my other lens.

its also the cheapest of the 3 @ £399 ($790)

i rang 3 shops before i found one with it in stock!! and the guy at Jessops at the Trafford Centre, Manchester said on the phone, pick up a camera magazine on the way here and we will match the cheapest price in the magazine :D

and they did... so i paid £337 not £399 :) woohoo, im chuffed to bits

RedDevil sneeks off to play with his new gadget :D (and change his siggy to include the new lens heheeh)

who said that?? i cant see... i cant see..

Hey that VR feature is the mutts nuts!!

its like my old wobbly focus grip.... but in really slow mo :D its great

dunno how it does it, but its clever :)

AND, it's not a 3rd party lens. I don't know how important it is to use a genuine Nikon part to you, but it is nice ot be able to say.

Most reactions

Back