Telephoto lenses for Canon.. fight!

You rotate them on the lens to get them to work right, Ive only toyed with them havent used them extensively.

If on your 55-250 the barrel of the lens rotates as it zooms or focuses you will need to adjust your polarizer as needed after you have locked your focus and zoom, otherwise your polarizer wont be set properly.

Hopefully someone can come in behind me here with more useful info, but thats the gist of it.

PS, check this out

http://tinyurl.com/5vs58v

You can compare the 55-250 and 70-300 at different focal lengths & apertures. Very cool. The 70-300 seems sharper in middle focal lengths, but at 300mm, it's not as sharp as the 55-250 at 250mm.

That's an awesome site, btw.

Went with the Canon 55-250mm. Looked at tons of photos taken on the 55-250mm and the 70-300mm, checked out MTF charts, looked at comparison crops.. plus I wanted something light-weight too and affordable. So the 55-250 won out in the end.

Hi,

this is my first post, so I hope I don't step on anyones toes!

I have the 70-200 canon IS. Absolutely SUPERB lens! If it's out of the budget, and I lost mine, I would just keep saving for this lens. Well worth it.

I suppose it depends on what you need. For wedding, especially receptions, speed matters to me. I have a 17-40L that's f4, and now I don't like to use it since it is slower.

One thing about the IS, it's much heavier. And I have to say, it is a feature I rarely use. If I had it over again, I would but the cheaper, lighter non IS version. Especially since it is harder to hold steady a heavier lens.(there must be some trade off with the image stabilization there, right?)

Anyway, better to get what you want than compromise, and end up craving what you could have waited a little longer for.

Good luck!

By the way, I would never buy a variable focus (4 - 5.6) lens, at least not if consistent correct exposure is important. If you shoot in manual, as soon as you change the zoom setting your exposure is off.

Got my 55-250mm in the mail today, totally happy with it! I like the fact that it's very light-weight. Image quality is great, and the IS is awesome.. almost eerie ;) (this is my first IS lens) Half shutter press, and watch the magic happen..

BTW, here's how awesome the IS works on this thing. Both shots are ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/3sec, at 250mm. 100% crops. First shot is without IS, the second is with IS. Just so there's no confusion..this is the box for my Tamron lens, not the Canon :)

isoffof6.jpg

isonkz5.jpg

were you running in place when you took the first shot? I have 0 lenses with IS as of now and i can achieve blur free shots.

You must have the hands of a surgeon then! No.. these shots are at 1/3 at 250mm in low light. I had my elbow propped against my chest for support, too (and I was sitting).

Depending on nerves, health issues, etc there is a way to hold a camera that will give most support. I prefer prime lenses to begin with but I have slow a$$ kit lenses and I achieve great results.

Its amazing what a flash can do for shots.

First thing I do is instead of putting strap around neck only I put it around my shoulder. Imagine this backslash as the strap / starting at your left side of waist and going to your right shoulder.

This keeps the camera closer to my body as well as allows elbows to be tucked easier.

Good idea..thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back