Tell me about the 23mm 1.4

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Love it? Sharp? Fast? Versatile focal length? Any good for close up candidates? What about astro?

I don’t need another lens but there’s a swap on the table for my almost never used by me 90mm. Both lenses in similar clean glass slightly used barrels shape. I was planning on selling the 90. Wouldn’t mind another closer option for astro.

Thoughts?

Does fuji even make a bad lens? If you would rather have a wide than a telephoto and it's in similar condition, a swap makes sense. I rented one, along with a 16mm 1.4 for a weekend a few years ago. The 23 1.4 was sharp but I liked the 16mm way better and had a less sterile look to it. It focused much closer than the 23 but image quality was about the same (I'm not a pixel peeper). Apparently the 16mm 1.4 is a better lens. I seem to recall AF was a little slow but that never mattered to me a I shoot primarily MF. However for your primary use and situation, the 23 makes a lot of sense if your not feeling the 16mm 1.4. The 23 1.4 is an excellent lens.

Edit: I seem to recall the focus clutch ring felt like it didn't catch solid as the 16.

Last edited:
No complaints with the 23/2 Fujicron. Frankly, doubt I'd spend the $$$ on the 1.4. A 56/1.2 ? Still drooling at the thought of that one!

Don't know anything about either. I can only say that I would always trade up for speed. If I had a lens that overlapped with a snazy new zoom that I'd just procured and had a chance to get something fast that I knew I would use, I'd get it.

Don't know anything about either. I can only say that I would always trade up for speed. If I had a lens that overlapped with a snazy new zoom that I'd just procured and had a chance to get something fast that I knew I would use, I'd get it.
That’s sort of what I’m thinking.

So I did make the trade. Mailed out the 90mm yesterday and he sent the 23 1.4 way. Should be here by end of day on Thursday! Now that the deal is done I'm anxious to get the lens and try it out.

And how is that Fuji 23/1.4?

I have the new Viltrox autofocus 23/1.4...
...on the way, along with its big brother the 56/1.4.

So far, I haven’t had much occasion to use it. I tried it out for some astrophotography this past weekend but haven’t had a chance to download the results.

Most reactions

Back