Tell me whats wrong with this picture

Sweetsomedays

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was bored and antsy this morning waiting for my new lens....still waiting. So I decided to take some pictures of the kids and play with bouncing my new flash off the ceiling.
I messed around in PS with it but something about it is just off. I don't know if I over sharpened her eyes or if I made her skin tone looks like a dead persons but it's just weird. BTW I also did a gausian blur layer.

Thanks!

DSC_0015.jpg

Not enough contrast:
1384872974_f9815f93ec_o.jpg

Personally I think it's an awesome shot.

Edit: Also I love your name "sweetsomeday" sounds like it came from an awesome song. :)

I think the fact that her eyes are so sharp and everything else is very soft offsets it a bit. That's the only thing that jumps out at me.

I think thats it to Campbell. Thanks for the comments all and the edit Phototron :)

The problem is the lighting is flat because the baby was facing toward the ceiling. It's like if you were to set up a strobe with a soft box so it's squarely lined up with the subjects face and you're standing under the soft box. You would've been better off bouncing off a wall to your right or left. Someone mentioned lack of contrast. This is why.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Is the lighting flat cuz of the way the picture was taken or because of my edit?
DSC_0015-2.jpg

I only ask cuz I actualy liked the lighting, it lit her face up way more then the light that was coming threw the window but without being real harsh. Either way I can try it again bouncing the light from the side. Thanks for the comment!

I like it the original picture. To me Phototron's edit shows too much contrast. Here eyes look so sharp because of the amount of reflection in them. There's something about the overall softness in the original photo that gives it a nice baby photo feel.

Edit: Also I love your name "sweetsomeday" sounds like it came from an awesome song. :)

Thanks! It actualy came into my head when my husband was deployed. Always good to look forward to that "sweetsomeday" when he's home.

Icon72...spose some times it's better not to mess with a good thing :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back