Tense Moment with Mother Deer

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I can't believe this set got lost in the pile and didn't get edited right away! Lesson kids, keep up with your editing!
C&C always welcome and appreciated!

Ok so I was out for a walk around the property and poking around by the pond. There is a trail between the pond and a "marshy" field that turns at both ends so it makes a blind corner coming onto it either way you come. I was about half way between the ends shooting some flowers when she came around the corner in front of me with her baby.

We had that moment of ut oh... and this time she came to her senses first. She started stomping and the fawn headed into the woods. I was frozen in place....

She quickly and loudly ran into the field (which put some more distance between us and some rough terrain). I came to my senses enough to raise the camera finally.

She proceeded to stomp and snort at me, at this point I'm very nervous and plotting my escape, she is about 30 yards from me and I guarantee she is much faster than I am. I'm so glad I didn't walk into them at that corner!

She decided to go back the way she came and took one last look at me before she left. *phew!* That was scary!

Neat photos - this must have been a "hair-raising" experience for you - it was a "tail-raising" experience for her. Did you notice that the tail is up in the first two - a definite warning sign - but it is down in the last one, suggesting she is a bit more relaxed - sure looks like she means business in the second one. Nothing like documenting your own field experiences. :mrgreen: Like any female animal, a mother with young can be very dangerous, even deer, as their instinct is to protect the little one. Thanks for sharing.

Yikes! Are they her teeth showing in the second shot? I agree with WesternGuy about mothers of any species being very protective of their young. I have a raccoon that has been feeding in my yard for a number of years. She has gotten quite tame and will come and dine with the cats, with me sitting out there talking to her! However when she brings her babies to eat in the spring, shes always on guard. Nice set. :) :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanks WesternGuy, Carol and Paige :)

WG, definitely hair raising! She was VERY intimidating, when we first noticed each other she was only about 10 yards away, when she started stomping the ground shook, add in the snorting and grunting and I literally froze. The first thing that flashed through my mind was videos I have seen online of people getting pummeled by an angry Momma. I knew I was in danger.

Carol, neat visitors! We have a Momma raccoon here too, we met her first out by the garden but she was alone. Recently we noticed a big increase in birdseed consumption. Well we found out why! At night Momma and baby come up on the deck and clean up whatever the daytime visitors left behind. It's awfully cute but we make sure we make a lot of noise going out there now so she hears us coming.

Paige and Carol, I wondered what that was in the second pic too, thought maybe it was something coming out of her nose but I checked the rest of the shots and it is definitely her teeth, I think her lips curve just right to make it look like she has fangs... very creepy !!

Great shots, Judi.

Deer are very protective of their young but they are also pretty docile most of the time. Staying still and not moving was probably the best thing you could have done. Perhaps back away slowly but never any quick movements. I see them frequently at one of my walking areas and the does will get between me and the fawns even though they know that they are safe at this place (shooting or hurting one there would land a person under the nearest jail).

WesternGuy is right, first two pics the tail (flag) is up which is an alert to other deer. I'm suprised she dropped her tail, you must have stayed still a long time. Blowing and stomping is usually to prompt a response from you, if she determines there is a threat she will run away. If you stay still long enough and she doesn't pick up your scent she may carry on about her business. In this scenerio, I think there would be little chance of a doe attacking you in the wild.

Wow, nice experience! The second shot is cool, third one is very pretty.
We can't mess with animals that's for sure. Two weeks ago I was walking in the forest on a little trail and almost, almost (like 6 inches at the most) stepped on this huge cobra. He or she must have been at least 7 foot long. I jumped back in no time and surely thanked God that I didn't step on it. Especially with how the hospitals are here, good luck finding anti-venom.
Nice captures, thanks for sharing,

#2 is a winner - I've never seen a deer look so aggressive, and you had the presence of mind to (ahem) focus, adjust exposure, and get the image perfectly. Congratulations!

Very scary experience. I like that 2nd shot.

Lucky for you this wasn't a male deer during mating season.

Nice shots either way.

I love those videos of a deer kicking some guy's ass. I always found those entertaining. Glad you're okay.

Awesome, deer are no joke though. There's a video of a mama straight whooping a dogs butt. I bet that was intense when she came at you like that.. I know the feeling all to well! Not to jack your thread, but we were in Cade's Cove, TN... known for it's wildlife sitings. I happened to see some people pulled off the road, so I jumped out with my camera, ran up there and saw a black bear a little distance away, started snapping some shots (they were fairly used to people, but still... it's a friggen bear). A few moments later her cub comes out the woods FEET away from the tree I'm standing and walks nearly behind me... so I'm standing there, b/t this mama bear and her cub about to crap myself... so I stand as still as I can snapping pictures trying not to shake or startle either bear... she looks right at me... walks straight torwards me (her hair is up on her back... oh yea, i was worried and ready to run like hell) and once she got about 20 ft from me her cub finally tagged along and they took a turn and crossed the road... I ran and got in the car lol.

522375_10150808667352647_177428190_n.jpg

That's an awesome shot of a snort. I think it's two wads of snot but it almost looks like two fangs, lol. You may actually be able to make a few dollars off it. It looks like something call or scent manufacturers may be interested in.

As far as getting attacked, I'd be MUCH more worried about the coon. They can be vicious and fear nothing if they young ones or are cornered. A friend of mine saw one completely whoop a bobcat.

Thanks for all the replies! Just a quick TY for now since I'm on my iPod and it would take forever for me to type :) I'll respond better when I'm on the laptop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back