Terminally Analogue

peter27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I very nearly bought a DSLR over the weekend. It was a close run thing between a Sigma DP10 + kit lens, and a Pentax ist DS also with kit lens (and a mere 2,900 exposures). I'd been looking at them for a few days on Ebay and had a real tough time choosing between them: the price was good on both, imo.

After much agonising and dithering I made the decision to stick with my beloved Pentax......and bought a Spotmatic! :lol:

All you have got to do now is learn how to develope B+W film

I'll be popping to town tomorrow to buy a couple of rolls of Portra and will ask if them to kit me out - the shop I like supplies darkroom equipment and chemicals. It's time!

^^ Cool! After a small investment in the tank, thermometer, chemicals, you'll soon reap the rewards of having your own film in hand, developed and ready to go. Probably kick yourself for waiting so long, when it's so simple. :razz: Be patient with the one tricky part: loading the film onto the reels takes practice. Try using some outdated unused film to practice with. It's admittedly awkward at first, but you'll get there!

Congrats on the *new to you* Spotmatic, too!

^^ Cool! After a small investment in the tank, thermometer, chemicals, you'll soon reap the rewards of having your own film in hand, developed and ready to go. Probably kick yourself for waiting so long, when it's so simple. :razz: Be patient with the one tricky part: loading the film onto the reels takes practice. Try using some outdated unused film to practice with. It's admittedly awkward at first, but you'll get there!

Congrats on the *new to you* Spotmatic, too!

Thanks for the encouragement terri, and for the tip with the old film. The Spotmatic arrived this morning and is in such good condition that I have to pinch myself when I think how little I paid for it. Film loaded - it just needs to stop raining now!

This made me realize that my Spotmatic hasn't been out to play for a couple of months. Time to load 'er up!

Looking forward to seeing some of your photos with the 'new' gear :)

This made me realize that my Spotmatic hasn't been out to play for a couple of months. Time to load 'er up!

Looking forward to seeing some of your photos with the 'new' gear :)

Thanks limr; I can't wait till tomorrow - the weather forecast is promising!

Here are some photos taken with my new Spotmatic:

View attachment 52976View attachment 52977View attachment 52978View attachment 52979

The hedgehog is Kodak 200 and a 29mm lens, the others are Agfa 400 and a 135mm lens (both lenses are from Pentacon). I've posted some more photos using this camera in the general gallery: take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/336812-water-lilies.html

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/336816-green-shutters.html

NIce shooting, peter27! I love the way the Spotmatics were built...they have an old-school feel, like an old Mercedes-Benz sedan...sedate, understated, simple technology but made well, and with pride. Plus they look cool too!

NIce shooting, peter27! I love the way the Spotmatics were built...they have an old-school feel, like an old Mercedes-Benz sedan...sedate, understated, simple technology but made well, and with pride. Plus they look cool too!

Thanks, Derrel. Yes, it's a lovely camera to use and to hold in the Hand, too: it has a great feel to it. My daughter took a photo of me taking a photo of her (taking a photo of me....), and Daddy Cool is my new name!

Very nice shooting, indeed. :) You must be tickled with your results.

Thanks, terri. Oh yes, as pleased as punch!

101510415_5d081b94ae_z.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back