Test rolls - good, bad, and silly mistakes (kind of long)

limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Though I kind of had a sense that I would get something camera related for the holidays, I ended up with four new cameras. Well, technically only two of them were brand new.

Here are the first results from each.

1) I already posted the first b&w results from the Mamiya C330, and here are two from the first color roll:

(I thought there were water marks or dust on the Santa negative, but then I just realized that the window I took the shot through was dirtier than I'd realized. Still like the shot, though.)
$Santa.jpg

$Tree swing.jpg

2) I also got a Holga 120N. I seem destined to ruin something during the first roll of everything I shoot, and this was no exception. The camera shoots medium format and can do both 6x6 and 6x4.5 with the use of different masking inserts. I like 6x6 so I had that mask in, but I misunderstood the indicator on the back of the camera and inadvertently had the window for 6x4.5 open. This meant that all my frames overlapped. It was like I shot a 6x72 panoramic!
Here's one section of it:

$Cemetery Pano.jpg

I figured out my mistake on the last 2 shots or so, and miraculously, the last frame came out surprisingly good given the limitations of a plastic toy and the lack of limitations to my ability to mess things up:

$Birdhouse.jpg

3) The OM-2 from pixmedic!!

I finally got batteries for it and shot the first roll mostly in auto (aperture-priority) to see if the meter would need any adjusting, or if my shooting needed a little adjusting. I was also testing for light leaks. There were some minor leaks in a few frames and the lens seems to prefer a hood. This was taken when the sun was already quite low and not in the frame:

$Tracks.jpg

I also have to get used to the split screen focus a bit more. I tested focusing with a shallow depth of field. This was one of the ones I hit the focus where I intended do. It's going to take me a couple of rolls to figure out if it's the camera or my eyesight! ;)

$Pods.jpg

And lest you worry that I didn't make any silly mistakes on this roll, here's the very first shot I took while loading the film and learning that the trigger is much softer than my K1000 :blushing:

$Fridge.jpg

4) Finally, I tested a camera that I had actually bought months ago as part of a Kickstarter project. It's a wooden handmade pinhole camera: www.ondu.si I got a 35mm and my boyfriend got a 6x6 (which he hasn't gotten yet, but which I will also get to use :sexywink: ) The test roll actually is not finished, but as it turns out, this was also a test of my film-salvaging skills. The advance knob has no markings and it's guesswork to figure out how many turns will advance the film the appropriate amount. I burned little marks onto the knob and body as a guide and did 1.5 turns (as suggested by the instructions). It was very difficult to advance and about halfway through the roll, I tore the film.

I put it into a changing bag and took out the take-up reel. There was also the piece of film across the plate that presumably had the last exposure I'd made. I cut that off and got it into a second empty canister. Since the film was torn and in two pieces, I developed it myself as black and white even though it's a color film (Gold 200) just to see what was going on with the camera. Figured the machine at the lab wouldn't really be able to handle the odd pieces of film.

Not saying that these are masterpieces, but I see that there's potential in this little guy. And they're not too bad for my first cross-processing ;)

$Stream.jpg

This was the image that was on that last piece of film that I cut off and put in the second canister. It is a 7-hour exposure.

$Xmas Tree.jpg

3) The OM-2 from pixmedic!!

I finally got batteries for it and shot the first roll mostly in auto (aperture-priority) to see if the meter would need any adjusting, or if my shooting needed a little adjusting. I was also testing for light leaks. There were some minor leaks in a few frames and the lens seems to prefer a hood. This was taken when the sun was already quite low and not in the frame:

View attachment 64111

View attachment 64115

Congrats on the new camera(s)!

I really *really* like the muddy tracks up the hill shot. My favorite.

I also dig the fridge shot.

Thanks!

Despite the flare and leak, I really like that one too.

Well, after months of hemming and hawing...you've been digitized and shrunken wayyyy down (using a mostly lossless JPEG process) to a size small enough that we can fit you onto the Internet. Yippie-skippie!!!

$Leonore-all-film all-the-time.jpg

Oh Leonore, great!

Wow, some fantastic work! I love the muddy tracks shot! And the living room with the pinhole camera too. Looks like that Mamiya is quite sharp, and I hope your BF gave you a neck massage after hauling that beast around. :lol:

Wow, some fantastic work! I love the muddy tracks shot! And the living room with the pinhole camera too. Looks like that Mamiya is quite sharp, and I hope your BF gave you a neck massage after hauling that beast around. :lol:

Thank you!

I did need a neck massage - that thing was around my neck for hours! Luckily the scarf I had on was think enough to provide a bit of cushion :) It was cold that day, too. About 17 degrees (F), with wind straight off the river.

I finally caught up to this thread. It looks like you're have a great time with film. Good for you! You folks are pushing me to the edge of getting up and dusting off my film gear, but, meh, I just sit back down in the recliner. Darn digital spoiled me I guess.

I like the vibrant colors of the swing set. Sharp, bright and fun. On the other end of the spectrum is the dirt path which it looks like it could have been taken in the mid 1800's. Good stuff. I enjoyed it.

Thanks, Rick! I was really pleased with the colors as well. Portra is a great film and it seems to go well with the Mamiya lenses.

One day we'll push you over the edge ;)

One day we'll push you over the edge ;)

It wouldn't take much, but after my wife bought me the Df for Christmas, I better put a few "rolls" through that before converting back to my 30-40 year old gear :lol:

Secretly, I was thinking of the nice permanent darkroom I could have built with that money.:raisedbrow:

Last edited:
Now I have an image of you in baggy clothes and a baseball cap on backwards shootin' film on the down-low ;)

Well, lets just say if I even mention building a darkroom in the near future, I'd have to build a doghouse first so I'd have a place to live.
I did buy 10 rolls of 120 BW400CN at a local shop who was closing them out. It was an impulse buy. After seeing the result of this film, I put them in the fridge and more less forgot about them. I also bought a new seal kit for my RB last year that I never installed. Maybe I'll throw in the new seals and shot a roll or two just for fun. BTW, you can see by the contents of this post...I've been teetering for quite some time.

Most reactions

Back