Test shots with my new back up lens

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I sold off a bunch of gear to get my Sigma 120-300 F2.8, which is still en route. In the process I sold both of my macro lenses. I don't really shoot true macro anyways. Last week I had the Nikon 300 F4 AF-S which was a great lens, but I really didn't think it was worth the price and I just didn't fall in love with it. There has been a dark horse in my whole lens upgrade process. It's not really well known, but it is a Sigma 300 F4 Tele Macro. I'm pretty happy with my first day of testing. It focuses down to 4.5 feet to give a 1:3 Macroesque size. AF speed is slower than the AF-S, but it seems to lock and track better. The price is the kicker.. $300...

I am calling it my back up lens because I'm a little nervous about my new lens due to the Sigma track record and I am thinking about selling the Tokina... Anyways I could only find gulls today for my test subjects... Would love to hear comments about sharpness, color, contrast, bokeh and overall appearance..

1 Wide open and cropped a good amount

Seagull - Testing Sigma 300 F4 1 by krisinct, on Flickr

2 F5.6

Seagull - Testing Sigma 300 F4 2 by krisinct, on Flickr

3 F5.6

Seagull - Testing Sigma 300 F4 3 by krisinct, on Flickr

4 "macroesque" wide open

Bittersweet Testing Sigma 300 F4 by krisinct, on Flickr

5 100% crop wide open (SOOC default sharpening in LR4)

100% Crop Testing Sigma 300 F4 by krisinct, on Flickr

That first one is certainly plenty sharp enough! But then, I'm still pretty certain you could tape a piece of glass to a papertowel tube and get stunning shots.

Just out of curiosity--if you sold the Tokina, what would you be looking to get for it? No, wait, don't tell me...must. stop. buying. lenses.... :D

For the price you can't go wrong!

Yeah, i might be interested in that tokina as well

You guys are driving me nuts to get a 300mm lens gosh darn it :lovey:

and I have a 75-300 AF lens that does a great job, just not very good at isolation with a f/ 4.5 - 5.6

Thanks!
That first one is certainly plenty sharp enough! But then, I'm still pretty certain you could tape a piece of glass to a papertowel tube and get stunning shots.
Just out of curiosity--if you sold the Tokina, what would you be looking to get for it? No, wait, don't tell me...must. stop. buying. lenses.... :D
Where do I find a paper towel roll with an F-mount? :)

Yeah, i might be interested in that tokina as well
I'm surprised you would be interested. Don't you already have a 300 F2.8? It doesn't compare to Nikon glass. Anyways I was going to throw it on ebay for 800 or best offer since I started quite a buzz about this lens. If anyone is interested here, I would sell it for 625 plus shipping which would be 25-35 dollars insured.. PM me and I can fill you in on all the details... or of course I'm always open to a good trade :)

Very impressive - especially with the extreme crops. But as Sharon said....

If you can find some time to review your new Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 OS when you get it, I'd greatly appreciate it. I am planning to get it as my early xmas gift :) I want to try out a faster lens and the Sigma seems to fit the bill.

Thanks,

If you can find some time to review your new Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 OS when you get it, I'd greatly appreciate it. I am planning to get it as my early xmas gift :) I want to try out a faster lens and the Sigma seems to fit the bill.

Thanks,
Tomorrow it arrives but I'm working all day :( Thursday morning looks like some sun, so hopefully my first round of shots I will post before I go to work. I'm sure I will be showing plenty of pics and giving more of my thoughts than anyone can bear to hear... I also have a Sigma 2x TC coming. I've seen some very good results some I am very hopeful it should be pretty awesome..

Thanks,
Tomorrow it arrives but I'm working all day :( Thursday morning looks like some sun, so hopefully my first round of shots I will post before I go to work. I'm sure I will be showing plenty of pics and giving more of my thoughts than anyone can bear to hear... I also have a Sigma 2x TC coming. I've seen some very good results some I am very hopeful it should be pretty awesome..

Cool. Thanks in advance. I am looking forward to hear about ur thoughts/comments about the Sigma. If everything goes well, I will be getting the Sigma 120-300mm and the Sigma 1.4x TC but will also consider the 2x TC.

Most reactions

Back