Tested some new equipment over the weekend...

xzyragon

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got my second strobe and a couple continuous softboxes over the weekend, and put them to some good use testing out / learning about light. Here's a couple serious and not so serious ones from the session

Wearing darkness by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr

IMG_9143 by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr

IMG_9139 by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr

IMG_9140 by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr

IMG_9121 by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr

Luckily when you're shooting roommates they can come back whenever, so I'll get to re-shoot and fill in the background better. I'm still figuring out how to really accentuate his jawline with lighting, and to get his hair to pop against a dark background. Anyways, tips, comments, critiques. All is welcome.

Is that blue steel in #2? It looks like you 2 had fun!

Your light sources are at 10:00 and 4:00 o'clock judging by the catch lights. This virtually stops any modeling effect from the lights << read shadowing>>. The result produces a rather flat 2D and boring result. In portraiture, shadows are our friends.

Two lights does not equal two Main light sources. It means you can now have a Main light and a Fill light. An open window gives you a third and a reflector offers a fourth light source.

Have a look at this site and the related links at the bottom of the page.
Tutorial: Facial Analysis In Fine Portraiture

Keep nice with the model. He is very expressive.

Keep practicing and thanks for sharing.

Your light sources are at 10:00 and 4:00 o'clock judging by the catch lights. This virtually stops any modeling effect from the lights << read shadowing>>. The result produces a rather flat 2D and boring result. In portraiture, shadows are our friends.

Two lights does not equal two Main light sources. It means you can now have a Main light and a Fill light. An open window gives you a third and a reflector offers a fourth light source.

Have a look at this site and the related links at the bottom of the page.
Tutorial: Facial Analysis In Fine Portraiture

Keep nice with the model. He is very expressive.

Keep practicing and thanks for sharing.

Yup I'm learning about this as I go. He's my roommate and is down for any pictures I make. Plus he films, so we're learning about lighting together.

Took this as a joke of my other roommate
Raw by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr

And retouched another hood picture
Andre 2.0 by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr

hood pic could be great of you can get more light up to the eyes.

im at work watching youtube videos on studio lighting this very second...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back