Testing the waters in photography.

EmoLip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally got a decent camera to test the waters in photography. My husband and I just bought a Canon Rebel XTi. So far we love the camera. But here's a few shots we took the other day. If you could, tell me what you think and how I can fix my picture taking for the better. Keep in mind I'm new at this and I haven't had enough time to fully figure out the camera.

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

With the zoom lens
IMG_0244.jpg

I know its a picture of a sticker on a lawn chair, but I thought it was neat.
IMG_0262.jpg

Just a random one but i was amazed at the clarity of the picture.
IMG_0077.jpg

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new camera! The first two shots I'm going to stay away from because I don't know the first thing about photographing cars. They seem pretty good to me, but what is on the top of the car in the second?

For the portrait of the girl, move the chair out of there and have her stand in the same place she was sitting if you like the wooden rail and trees as a background. Have your husband (or whoever) hold a piece of something white (foam core, styrofoam, even a sheet of paper) angled up at her face but not TOO close. This will reflect some light up into her eyes which gives more life to a portrait and is more flattering. It also looks a little overexposed. The chair and the highlights on the railing and her shirt are a bit too bright and you're starting to lose detail in them. Are you using automatic settings?

For the fence shot, everyone wants to put the subject of their photo in the dead center of the frame at first but a lot of times a picture can really benefit from the "rule of thirds" being applied. Imagine two horizontal and two vertical lines dividing your frame up into thirds and try putting the latch in the lower left third. The top of that post won't be cut off and, in my opinion, having more of the actual fence will make for a more interesting shot. But keep in mind that these are just my opinions and other people may have completely different tips. The key is really to just keep shooting and trying different things and eventually you'll come up with a particular style that suits your personality.

Good luck and keep it up! :)

I like the first one especialy. I think the stuff in the second one is not actualy on the car but behind it, maby a trash can or something. Great lighting on the first 2 a good sunney day can be a blessing sometimes.
Wes

Thanks guys. Ive been taking pictures yesterday and today and tried to keep in mind this rule of 3. So far its actually working out perfectly.

The stuff behind the car was a table with food on top of it. If I knew how to photoshop that out of the picture then I would.

But thanks for the encouragement. Since we got the camera Ive been inlove with taking pictures all over the place.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back