Tether a Nikon to an ipad II ?

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm on the fence about purchasing an ipad II. Is there an app that allows one to tether to the ipad? That would be great for on location, I usually don't carry around my laptop.

I hear there are a few apps that handle RAW files for previewing but haven't heard of a tether option?

Thanks, Steve

2WheelPhoto said:
I'm on the fence about purchasing an ipad II. Is there an app that allows one to tether to the ipad? That would be great for on location, I usually don't carry around my laptop.

I hear there are a few apps that handle RAW files for previewing but haven't heard of a tether option?

Thanks, Steve

Eye-Fi pro x2 card + shuttersnitch.

2WheelPhoto said:

Thanks, Steve

Eye-Fi pro x2 card + shuttersnitch.

Wow thanks, will there be a delay due to wireless on the large RAW files and if so is it just a second or two and negligible anyway?

eye-fi pro is terrible at sending raws. Its painfully slow. It's painfully slow using JPEG's. If you're taking a two shots, waiting two minutes, then taking 2 more, then it would work for you.

A friend of mine (Speed Trap on the forum) has a pretty cool set up. I don't think he's tethering directly to the iPad, but he certainly uses it. I think he uses a Wifi grip, and it sends the photos to the laptop as he's shooting. (not sure about the speed). An additional screen can be attached to the laptop so that 'everyone' can see the photos. And then the iPad is linked to the folder on the laptop, so it can access the photos (or something like that). The art director (or who ever) has the iPad so they can review & rate the images...I'm not sure of the app he uses.

The eye-Fi setup is pretty slow for shooting with raw. The best way I've seen, is if you have a camera with dual card slots (d7k, d300s) then shoot raw to one and Jpeg to the other. Send the .jpgs to the iPad, and keep the RAWS on the card in camera. You can't view raw files on an iPad anyway, last I checked.

I had a look at shuttersnitch, looks great but it says:

At the moment these devices don't not offer the ability to set up an ad-hoc connection - which would eliminate the need for any other hardware.Hopefully Apple will add this feature at some point.However: if you have a Canon transmitter, you may be in luck.

why it can be achieved using canon transmitter and not the nikon wifi transmiter? any of you manged it?

what about an app that uses the ipad2 bluetooth instead? just for transmitting a single pic at the time? is it possible between nikon dslr and ipad2 ?

thanks

DO NOT
ASK ME BEFORE...JUST BEEN TO HELL AND BACK WITH ALL THIS STUFF!!

Built in wifi on the D5300 sends pics raw or otherwise pretty quick. Can take pics remotely but doesn't automatically send each you take if not clicking the shutter with the app and I wish the app would allow me to take photos in manual and have a preview of the lcd display on the other device. Pretty sure RAW is viewable on an iPhone even in the regular picture gallery. Should be other apps compatible with the wifi and nikon you'd think. I use the official Nikon WMU app

Yeah but at the end of the day, all of this stuff is extremely inefficient and time consuming. I have tried using QDSLRDASHBOARD, SHUTTER SNITCH, AND THE NIKON APP.
Shutter snitch only works to transfer files after the pic is taken. No live view. The other two are ok but the whole process is slow. Downloading raw files onto an ipad takes a while.
I think tethering could work well with a really good desktop, and a nice 4k monitor, but not with this ipad stuff.
Then there's the problem of having your ipad clamp to your tripod. Most ipad accessories go into the hot shoe. I have wireless triggers in the hot shoe.
The only thing I can think that a wireless system would be useful for is if you are filming birds or animals and are forced to release your shutter remotely with an ipad or iphone etc...in a studio setting, all this wireless ipad stuff is NIGHTMARE.

OH!!
we forget that the wireless incapacitates your camera screens...some of the subjects I take E.g, leather bags, the camera cannot focus. So i have to enter manual focus....good luck trying to focus manually on a subject with an ipad or iphone. Furthemore, none of these apps have your focus points...i love my focus points..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back