tethered shooting d40 questions

tron

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello

i need to tether my camera for an engineering project i am working on in school. i had a few questions as to how i can do this:

1. i can use the stock cable that came with the camera for transferring images to the computer right?

2. i found out that i can use apple aperture, this is good :)

3. what settings do i need to change in camera to get this to work?

hello

i need to tether my camera for an engineering project i am working on in school. i had a few questions as to how i can do this:

1. i can use the stock cable that came with the camera for transferring images to the computer right?

2. i found out that i can use apple aperture, this is good :)

3. what settings do i need to change in camera to get this to work?

Are you wanting to shoot from the computer (control settings), or just transfer pictures to the computer?

Nikon Control Pro 2 will control a D40 from the computer. There are some other private software out their for controlling Nikon cameras but not sure if any are targeted towards the D40.

1. Yes the cable you have will work

2. Yes you can tether in Aperture, but I'm not sure if you can with a d40

3. No settings need to be changed as far as I know. Not on my camera at least.

But... why do you need to shoot tethered for the project? Most of the time when cameras are tethered it's to transfer the images onto a larger screen where they can be instantly reviewed and edited if need be... at least that's what I think. You still need to adjust your aperture, shutter speed etc by hand though.

I don't know how to do it in Aperture, but it is very easy in Lightroom.

I suspect that Aperture will be very similar.

Connect your camera using the USB cable. Start the EOS Utilities program (then go to 'remote shooting/settings'). Set it to automatically save shots to some folder.

Set your PP program to watch that folder and auto-import anything in it. Start shooting.

You can change settings on the camera, or on the EOS Utilities app.

The only setting that *might* have to be changed is the PC communication. Some cameras only have one setting (the right one, lol), others you have to select "PC".

EDIT
:banghead:

Ignore everything I said.

You said "D40", but I was seeing "40D"...

Thought you were shooting Canon, lol.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back