that's a great camera!

frommrstomommy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know we've all heard it.. does it bother you? I just laugh.. showed this candid to the person in the photo at the military homecoming I last photographed and she loved it in camera and declared "wow thats a great camera!" I just nod and smile.

DSC_0093 by capturedbybc, on Flickr

I hear that way to often but it don't bother me. I wish people gave a little more respect to the professionals since I've seen this happen to them as well.

Try going out and photographing with a 4x5 large format camera film camera.

You get questions like... How many megapixels does that have? Or How old is your camera?

People looked shocked when I tell them I bought it new two years ago.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I just nod and agree. It *is* a great camera. :)

I always just say "It gets the job done" and leave it at that.

It's super common. I used to get all pissy and say "When someone cooks you a nice meal, do you compliment them on their stove?" but after ticking off a few people I realized it was easier just to smile and nod. :)

Why would this annoy anyone?

The analogy to a meal and a chef is off. They aren't looking at your prints in a gallery and saying nice camera. They're looking at your camera. Its more like a chef walking down the street carrying a shiny new lime green mixer or something. Why would that be rude?

My cameras take amazing pictures! :) It doesn't bother a bit but I try to show people that it takes more than just a camera for great pictures. I shoot a weddings so I see guests with nice camera all the time and their pictures are always up on FB first. I love it because people will have something to compare my work with and it forces me to improve.

Last edited:
If I had all the great gear you guys did, I could take great photos too.

"True, but if you think the camera's good, you should get to know the operator!"

"Isn't it though? I just wish I knew what all these little buttons and switchy-things on the back were for!"

The analogy to a meal and a chef is off. They aren't looking at your prints in a gallery and saying nice camera. They're looking at your camera. Its more like a chef walking down the street carrying a shiny new lime green mixer or something. Why would that be rude?

Uh, no, my analogy is not off, thank you. Read again...

I know we've all heard it.. does it bother you? I just laugh.. showed this candid to the person in the photo at the military homecoming I last photographed and she loved it in camera and declared "wow thats a great camera!" I just nod and smile.

"True, but if you think the camera's good, you should get to know the operator!"

"Isn't it though? I just wish I knew what all these little buttons and switchy-things on the back were for!"

Heh. I've done the latter sometimes. I usually get blank stares.

Untrue, I have had this happen online a week ago on this spider picture, this is the exact comment:
"Brilliant. Obvioulsy some pretty nice camera equipment. Love it. Vote"

They don't have to see you walking down the street with your lime green mixer, she had NO CLUE what my camera gear was and STILL made the comment.

I actually had my first "photographer encounter" a little while back and it was kinda the reverse of the "you have a nice camera" , we had stopped at a gorgeous local waterfalls during the week, we do this to try to avoid the bulk of the city folk. I was changing lenses and the most adorable older fella wearing suspenders comes over with his I'm guessing Canon Powershot.

He opens by saying "Hey our cameras are the same make! I bet you could zoom in on a ticks ass at 1000 paces with that thing!" (Canon 60D with my 100-400 that I was taking off)
I laugh and say yep!

He goes on to expound the virtues of his camera while I change stuff up. He is most impressed with his zoom, zooms in on a house wayyyyyy wayyyyyy wayyyyy in the distance and shows me, he goes on and on about how awesome his gear is and how much it zooms in.... there is only one problem though....he zooms in and gets everything setup and he just can't get a clear picture! But he WILL get a good shot out of it!!

I'm done changing lenses by this point and I say.... "So you haven't gotten a good picture out of it yet?"

He says nope, but when I do it'll be awesome, it zooms in so much!!

By this point I'm just kinda standing there trying to not be rude, mean, or laugh because that would just be wrong and mean and he was so sweet. I wished him good luck and carried on... to find him following behind me (at a relatively respectable distance) and literally shot from every spot I shot from.

Eventually this turned into a little game and we got a bit ahead of him, I was trying to get a composition on a rainbow that wasn't happening and wasn't going to happen so I asked Mr. Rabbit to pull some branches aside for me while I shot, this fellow stood in that spot for I don't know how long trying to figure out why I had him do that and even tried to one hand it holding the branches back (too far out he couldn't reach) so he left the branches in place and took a couple shots anyway ;)

Uh, no, my analogy is not off, thank you. Read again...
Just did read again and it is. Showing somebody a picture in camera is showing them a bad lcd version of an image, not a print, AND the camera itself, which stands out much more and is much more obvious and noteworthy to a person who sees images every 5 seconds and dslrs rarely.

A meal is a finished product WITHOUT any impressive equipment visible.

The situation is completely different to what was described in the OP, and there is a really obvious reason why camera comments happen and stove comments dont, which in the situation described (and most others in my experience) does not necessarily have anything to do with respect for arts, but quite possibly has to do with commenting on large novel objects shoved immediately in your face.

Edit: pixelrabbit, yes if it happens that way instead of the OP's it is rude. In my experience, the OP or something like it is much more common though.

Just did read again and it is. Showing somebody a picture in camera is showing them a bad lcd version of an image, not a print, AND the camera itself, which stands out much more and is much more obvious and noteworthy to a person who sees images every 5 seconds and dslrs rarely.

A meal is a finished product WITHOUT any impressive equipment visible.

The situation is completely different to what was described in the OP, and there is a really obvious reason why camera comments happen and stove comments dont, which in the situation described (and most others in my experience) does not necessarily have anything to do with respect for arts, but quite possibly has to do with commenting on large novel objects shoved immediately in your face.

Edit: pixelrabbit, yes if it happens that way instead of the OP's it is rude. In my experience, the OP or something like it is much more common though.

Okay, so it's equivalent to a chef cooking a stew on a brand new Viking range and having a friend or customer taste the stew before its been plated, right from the pot.

Most reactions

Back